New Lounger
    Thanks

update number 2502285 - which AV affected?

Hi. I was offered the subject update.
    "0x0000007F" Stop error on a Windows 7-based computer that has an active antivirus application installed."

Nothing in the article (http://support.microsoft.com/KB/2502285) says which AV apps are involved, or when it might show up. I am using Norton Internet Security 2010. I have seen no problems, but don't know if that means I don't need this or might for some particular update. Does anyone have any experience or further knowledge of this? Thanks.

Thanks
    This is a quote from M$;This issue occurs because both the operating system and the antivirus application read from the same files in the startup process of the operating system. Therefore, kernel stack memory may be exhausted, and you receive the Stop error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section. You can read more about here;http://support.microsoft.com/KB/2502285
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know. My question is that I see nothing as far as what AV products could be affected, or whether if it hasn't happened by now I don't have to be concerned with it. I don't have any way of knowing in what order both Windows and Norton may try to access files. I assume they got complaints from people that led to this, but what AV they were using I don't know. I'm wondering if anyone has had specific experience with this error.

Quote Originally Posted by chowur View Post
    This is a quote from M$;This issue occurs because both the operating system and the antivirus application read from the same files in the startup process of the operating system. Therefore, kernel stack memory may be exhausted, and you receive the Stop error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section. You can read more about here;http://support.microsoft.com/KB/2502285

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If there is not a specific product mentioned I take that to mean that ANY product could be affected. I've installed the update on several systems already with no problems.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Searching for a 64bit version of this KB2502285 fix. any link is welcome

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alainlulu View Post
    Searching for a 64bit version of this KB2502285 fix. any link is welcome
    An X64 version is not mentioned in the KB article. So, it does not apply to X64.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i know it doesnt apply. updated my win7 64, got that freezing BSOD due to kernel issues betwin sys and AV (kaspersky in my case), then tried to apply the above mentionned KB, without success. Luckily, had a SSD C: clone which i'm using now, but won't apply SP1 again* before i can find a patching KB compatible with 64 bit

*was unable to uninstall SP1, seems like CCleaner wiped out the uninstall files

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you have the details of the BSOD? It may not be exactly the same issue.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    pretty sure it is, since
    - i found out about the KB when searching for specific solution
    - no problems without SP1 on my SSD clone

Don't have detailed BSOD messages anymore since faulty SSD is already formatted and cloned back from the clone.

Only trace left is this screen capture
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/photoaew.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Since there does not appear to be any information on a 64-bit patch I suggest you contact Microsoft. You always get free support for service pack installation problems. They may want you to reproduce the issue though.

Joe