New Lounger
    Thanks

Replace defective CPU

My "refurbished" CPU is bogging down and I am going to replace it with a new one.
    What will happen to my system when I do this? Will I need to start all over and re-install Win 7 etc.? I will create a current backup just before changing the CPU.

Lounger
    Thanks
    It should just drop in the socket and run. That said, its a good time to replace the fan. You will want to clean out the heat sink and get some thermal paste to put between the new cpu and the heat sink. Make sure to check your mobo specs regarding the cpu. Some mobos will handle a max speed cpu and anything faster will not run or make a difference speed wise.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, physician97
    All the specs match for the new CPU. I have thermal paste and a good fan. My real concern was whether changing the CPU would affect the ability of the system to recognize my data, after the change. Can you help on this?

Lounger
    Thanks
    It should not if its compatible for the mobo, the mobo sees it on boot up and will go right to the OS. Its always safe and smart to back up before something like this, but it should just boot up.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK! We'll go with the plan. Many thanks. I needed that boost of confidence.

Thanks
    If the CPU is a different speed than the old one, you may have to go through Windows validation again. If thwe web validation fails, just use Telephone validation. Its an autmated response system that should work fine. Back up any critcal data before you start the CPU replacement.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jshepps View Post
    My "refurbished" CPU is bogging down and I am going to replace it with a new one.
    What will happen to my system when I do this? Will I need to start all over and re-install Win 7 etc.? I will create a current backup just before changing the CPU.
    As long as you have taken the time to research hardware compatibilty and ensure your board and BIOS are capable of running the replacement CPU, no reinstall
    of the operating system should be needed. I have also upgraded my CPU several times on the same board without requiring reactivation.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-02-19 at 22:22.