Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Windows 7 VDI and IE

    Greetings,

    Been a long time member of the Lounge and have found quite a few answers to problems I have encountered along they way, but I've got one now that is pretty perplexing. I'm in an AD network and we have a server setup to handle Virtual Desktop Interfaces (VDI) for some of our users. So far this has worked out pretty good as it has allowed our remote users to VPN in, connect to their VDI and access network resources and apps much faster then just relying on the VPN alone. Now, we're starting to experiment with using Thin Clients (Wyse Terminals) connecting into a VDI for our users instead of having them use a dedicated desktop computer. Our first attempt here has, overall, been working out pretty good except for Internet Explorer.

    Here's the setup for the VDI:
    - 40G HD allocated (about 13G free)
    - 8G RAM allocated
    - Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
    - Current version of Flash
    - Office 2007 Pro
    - Acrobat Reader 9
    - MS CRM
    - MS Navigator Role-tailored and Classic Client
    - MS Forecaster Web Client
    - Office 2007 Communicator (in-house IM)
    - Office 2007 Live Meeting
    - iSeries Access V5R2
    - Irfanview

    IE will fire up OK and allow you to connect to some sites, but not others. With some of the sites you can get to the opening page, but cannot go to any other pages on the site. This inconsistent pattern occurs whether the site is encrypted or not (https vs. http), and occurs regardless of what login is used (administrator vs. standars user). Finally, I can't even ping, not just some domains, but any domain you try, the request times out.

    If anyone has an idea why this behavior is happening I would really appreciate it if could let me know.

    tfw

  2. #2
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just want to post a follow-up. We got this problem solved. thu user can now surf the Internet w/o problem (other than those pesky security restrictions IT insists on <g>).

    Seems that the user's VDI was pulling an IP that had been assigned to the previous Exchange Server. Due to the nature of e-mail and efforts to mitigate any threats certian restrictions were placed on this address at the Firewall and on the IPS. In order to get the user up and going as quickly as possible we placed a reservation on this IP address in DHCP to isolate it, then had the user do an IPCONFIG -RELEASE and an IPCONFIG -RENEW so their VDI could pull another IP address. Once that was done everything began to fall into place. We'll go back later on and get the old Exchange Server IP straightened out so we can put it back into the DHCP pool.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •