New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows patch causes computer to go weird

Hi all,

I was patching my Windows 7 box today and after I rebooted, the computer was *really* slow. As an example, the first time I booted up after patching, it was stuck at the pulsating Windows logo screen for maybe 10-15 minutes whereas normally it only takes that many seconds. I'm not even kidding here. It did eventually go to the login screen, but that was kinda slow too, so I used the onscreen menu to reboot.

The next boot took about 30 seconds, and it was still fairly slow on the login screen, with the hard disk gunning away. More worryingly, after I logged in it gave me a "Windows is not genuine" message and encouraged me to "get genuine". However, this *is* a genuine copy of Windows! I went for the "Ask me later" option and got to my desktop, and surprisingly, Aero had loaded and my desktop wallpaper was the same as always, which suggested to me that there was something really wrong (from what I remember reading, in the case of a *real* non-genuine Windows, the wallpaper can't be changed from black and Aero doesn't load). So I rebooted again.

This time the boot was still 30 seconds or so (instead of the normal 10-15 seconds) and things were still slow and the hard disk just would not stop. (I didn't get the "Windows is not genuine" message this time, though.) At this point I used System Restore to restore to the automatic checkpoint it made before installing the patches and my problems went away.

Does anybody have any idea why this would happen, or had the same experience? I'm using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Professional, and I have a quad-core Intel i7 Q820 processor with hyperthreading. The patches that I installed were KB2482017, KB2393802, KB2425227, KB2475792, KB2479628, KB2485376, and two patches for the regular Malicious Software Removal Tool update and the Windows Defender definition update. I'm not sure which of these patches caused the issue and I kind of don't want to go through them one-by-one to find out, although if it's absolutely needed I can do so.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Thanks
    My only suggestion would be.Uninstall the latest updates,then install one @ a time rebooting after each install.To see which one is gumming up the works.Another would be to,Disable your anti-virus program before you install the updates as well.I know what you are thinking.I've never had to do that before.Some updates are more finicky than others.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophira View Post
    Hi all,

I was patching my Windows 7 box today and after I rebooted, the computer was *really* slow.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
    Sophira,
    Hello... I have two identical Windows 7 \ 64 OS's one with all patches and updates as a "control" and the other (same Programs and hardware ) with no patches or updates . In the "ALL patch and Update OS" as of this moment ...no problems with this months P\U's (other than the usual "buggyness") Because of all the posible PC "combos" hardware and software ...some have problems with the MS monthly offerings . At some point you should ask yourself if you really need them all (P\U's) I use only 3rd party security, and no MS stuff, (patches or updates) .Something to think about. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)