Lounger
    Thanks

External Dell Monitor has no audio after wake up

I have a Dell ST2410 24" HD monitor attached to my HP Laptop (Compaq Presario CQ45) by way of an HDMI cable supplied with the Dell. I use the audio ports on the Dell Monitor to provide audio to (great sounding) stereo speakers with subwoofer. After boot up, all is great, BUT ...
    When I put the PC to Sleep (rather than Shutdown) and I wake it up, the NVIDIA card (GeForce 9200M GS) sees the monitor as no longer connected and the audio is redirected to the (inferior) laptop speakers. I correct the problem by unplugging the HDMI cable, count to 3 (a sanity thing!) then reinsert and voila all is well again.

Question please - is there a permanent fix?

Thanks
    I would start off by buying a new cable they are pretty cheap.The question is what type of OS are you running.In order to help you better.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Windows 7:
    In advanced power management, ensure PCI express; "Link State Power Management" set to off.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Windows 7 Home Edition

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried setting PCI express; "Link State Power Management" set to off, but unfortunately, still no go. (who would know to even look there - I am so impressed).

Thanks
    While the monitor is attached and fully functional
    See if you can go into devmgmt.msc & track down your audio output (monitor speekers) and check if there is some setting that will make it the default, do the same with the monitor...

otherwise your looking at continuing to do what have have been doing to correct the issue.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint - I have found that the Rank of the Installed Driver (this would presumably indicate if it is default) of the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC (i.e. the laptiop) is 00FF0001, whereas the NVIDIA HDMI Audio is given as 00FF2005, but there is no means in the devmgmt.msc to change that. I expect it might lie somewhere in the registry and to be honest, changing things there makes me a little bit nervous.
    Brian