Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Snapfish PictureMover

This came pre-installed on our new Windows 7 Home Premium computer. Can I get rid of it or do I need it for the occasional time I have digital photos to transfer from my camera

Thanks
    It's probably to encourage you to use HP's SnapFish service. You might find an entry for it in the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So it's one of those bloatware items I've been reading so much about here. Okay, it was listed and I'm going to uninstall it. Figure I can reinstall it if I ever need it. Can't believe just how many of these things come with a new computer! For those of us non-technical and somewhat nervous types, it is a daunting task to figure out which ones to keep and which to remove. You look them up in Google, but that really doesn't always help you know if you NEED it - or might in the future! The best suggestion one Lounger had was to get rid of everything (except for the system needed ones) and obtain ones you need as you need them from free download sites. It's a huge leap of faith for me, however, so I'm going very slowly!

Appreciate your response and its speed - as usual!

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    So it's one of those bloatware items I've been reading so much about here. The best suggestion one Lounger had was to get rid of everything (except for the system needed ones) and obtain ones you need as you need them from free download sites.
    Linda,
    Hello.... There is a lot of "bloatware" that comes pre-installed with "OEM" PC's. One of the "must have" tools that i use to rid myself of things that don't come with an "un-installer" "Everything" http://www.voidtools.com/ and "Agent Ransack" http://www.mythicsoft.com/register_ar.aspx With either of these you can easily find and remove things that you don't want (no uninstaller types) post back if you have questions about how to use these. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred. I'll check them out and post back with questions or results. Another Lounger had mentioned PC Decrapifier. Do you know anything about it? Is it the same thing? It has a great name, anyway!!

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred. I'll check them out and post back with questions or results. Another Lounger had mentioned PC Decrapifier. Do you know anything about it? Is it the same thing? It has a great name, anyway!!

Linda
    Linda,
    Hello... No... these tools will find everywhere the programs are loaded... and i mean everywhere ... They are not "un-installers" they are "Program locaters" you use them to find all the places , for example "Snapfish" is hiding. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Aha! I did have the wrong idea. I'll get one of them and post back with progress and/or questions.

Many thanks,

Linda

EDIT: Progress and Question
    I downloaded Everything and checked Snapfish. It seems to be in a LOT of places! Do I delete all of them or do I uninstall Snapfish and then check back in Everything to see if there are any items remaining?

Second, would Everything allow me to find any leftover Norton Internet Security files that didn't get removed when I uninstalled it?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-02-14 at 17:09.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    EDIT: Progress and Question
    I downloaded Everything and checked Snapfish. It seems to be in a LOT of places! Do I delete all of them or do I uninstall Snapfish and then check back in Everything to see if there are any items remaining?

Second, would Everything allow me to find any leftover Norton Internet Security files that didn't get removed when I uninstalled it?
    Linda,
    Hello,
    First if your"Snapfish" has an un-installer...Run it. Then use "Everything " to find the missed leftovers... The reason i do this in this manner is as follows

1. When you run an Un-installer like "Revo" sometimes it will link to "shared folders" if you then "check" remove all you might end up removing something you need for another program.... Using Everything (after running the programs un-installer) i then can look in the folders that are left and see "whats up before i "deep 6 em"

2.If a Program doesn't have a "un-installer" then you have no choice but to find the places and remove them yourself.

3. With Norton "leftovers" After running their un-installer ... you might still find some things using "Everything" One problem that you might have in removing Norton Entries is that you might have to "take ownership" before you can delete them (folder \registry entries) ...or even use something like "unlocker" etc. Make sure that you do a "backup Image " just to be on the safe side.

Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred. I see what you mean. It all sounds a tad scary so I will proceed slowly. If, after uninstalling and finding bits of either Snapfish or Norton, I might just leave them be. Image or not, I would be very afraid of messing something up! Will repost to let you know how it goes.

Linda

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Norton publishes an uninstaller to remove all the bits and pieces. Check out this link: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_...834EN&ln=en_US (copy & paste in the address bar).

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry. Found the site. Looks like I'd use the remover for a"version installed by my service provider". Will give it a try and post back re. success.

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    UPDATE from Linda: Just ran the tool and it worked just fine. Think I'm going to leave the uninstall at this stage as I'm a bit nervous about doing the more technical removal steps ... unless other Loungers suggest I should do a more detailed search for leftover Norton files!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    unless other Loungers suggest I should do a more detailed search for leftover Norton files!
    Linda,
    Hello...Yes ...just for your own curiosity and to increase your "PC" knowledge, run the program "Everything" and see whats left. You don't have to remove anything ....just have a look. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, that is a good idea - for learning if nothing else. Will do so over the next several days and post back. Thanks, JP Fred!

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Progress with Everything

Oh, good grief, Fred! I just ran the Everything program and typed in "Norton" in the search box and there are dozens of entries! But I thought everything (the pronoun not the program!) Norton had been expunged with the uninstaller! What do I do? Should I post a screen shot of all the listings? Do I just ignore it? Help!

Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast