Thread: Hard Drive

Thanks

Hard Drive

I just had a heart stopping moment.The last time I rebooted my computer.Running windows 7 ultimate 64bit.The post screen described my hard drive as Bz,Bz,followed by more. I have never seen anything like that before!I've been building computers since 1998.I would like some input on this strange situation.BTW,the hard drive is only about 2 years old.Western Digital.Some ides on what the h#ll is going on.Thanks in advance.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Hi chowur,

I've never seen anything like that before either! Did your Windows 7 boot up? Have you rebooted since you posted to see what happens?

Have you tried booting to a CD running disk diagnostics supplied by your HD manufacturer? I've had hard drives that failed in two years or less, but fortunately not often. If possible, try to do a fresh image of the disk soon if you do not have a recent one. Hope things go well.

Thanks
    Hi chowur,

I would immediately make an Image in case the HD is going. Cheap insurance in my book.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I cleaned the registry with Ccleaner,ran the diagnostics from western it came up clean.I also ran CHKSK it came up clean also.I already backed up the whole thing on a different hard drive.I will make an Image as well today!BTW,I haven't seen the strange Bz on the Post screen since.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    At POST, the BIOS is only interested in the drive ID & SMART status (if enabled) so the registry cleaning & chkdsk would have no affect at that point.

First of all, I would suggest reseating the data/power cables.

Sidenote: I've had a similar problem, replacing the PSU cured it.