Thanks

My Thread update

Hi Loungers, for the benefit of those who read My Post - Here but who never understood it, I will try to explain better.
    First of all, I entered a password for my account, then I entered ' netplwiz ' in the start menu. I then removed the tick from, Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer. I can now 'Sign In' without a p/w when starting or rebooting my PC. I know some of you have used this,
    If you have, now go to start menu and instead of clicking 'restart' click 'Log off ' When done you will be asked for your p/w. This is the one I would like to disable, not the 'Sign In ' one everyone thought I meant.
    Humble apologies to ALL for badly worded post.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Road R, good morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    This is the one I would like to disable, not the 'Sign In ' one everyone thought I meant.
    Humble apologies to ALL for badly worded post.
    In my case, as I wrote to you before, that is the one that I got rid of.

>>>click 'Log off ' When done you will be asked for your p/w.

That is the one that I got rid of. Why will it not work in your case ? I can log-on after the "Log Off" without being asked for nothing, all I get is mu user name. Click on it and Win-7 opens up. In my case, I am the only user on this machine and the PW for Log-in or Sign-in is the same.
    OK, I tried this for you as you are a good head. ;-) I went to Users Accounts, removed my PW. I then went to netplwiz and the tick to request a PW is there but if I "Log Off", I am not asked for the PW. Go search ! I will try the reverse now.
    I said that I would be back and I am on the third edit. I went back to netplwiz and un-ticked the square, was offered a dialogue to pre-insert a PW, I left them blank, I think that this might be what you want ??? But the Users Accounts still has to have the PW Removed. No PW required at all now. Are we having fun still ??? Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2011-02-12 at 13:15. Reason: I logged off and back on after editing.

Thanks
    Hi Jean, I have always used an account p/w without having the need to enter it every start, as it makes using my pc programs easier. It was only when setting up a home network for the first time I ever used 'log on/off' hence my reason for asking if it could be disabled without upsetting any other items. If you look at the number of views this thread has had, you'll see not many if any know if it is possible. I am also the only user on my pc.
    I know the need to enter a p/w when waking from sleep can be disabled, but I don't use it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb The elusive PW ! Revisited.

Good morning, RoadR.

>>>. It was only when setting up a home network for the first time I ever used 'log on/off' hence my reason for asking if it could be disabled without upsetting any other items.

Now we hit the nail squarely. If you had mentioned this first time around, I could have confirmed that indeed you need to have a PW set when on a LAN. This is a "forced" protection and I could not get around it. It might be a new thing in W-7 ??? Whenever I try to connect to any of my many machines here, this dialogue comes on screen and ask to input the User Name and PW for the far machine as if I was booting it. This is, methinks, what you are butting heads with. You might have to live with this, I could not find a way out and I have played with it for a long time only to admit defeat.

For a while, I thought that you were into some Mead too much !
    Have a great day. Jean.

Thanks
    Hi Jean, the good news is, now I have it setup and working, I wont have to log ON/OFF again till the wheels fall off or some pratt (me) does some more experiments.
    P.S. I'm TT nothing stronger than coffee. Can you answer this question ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

???

RoadR, me still.

>>> Can you answer this question ?

No ! I saw your name there but could not access the thread without joining. I did not.

But do not keep me in the dark, please. How did you defeat the PW ?

Good on the TT. Have fine day. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    But do not keep me in the dark, please. How did you defeat the PW ?
    I never did including 2 other forums.
    -
    Hi Folks, I have a laptop & a desktop pc. both with Win7 Home Prem. LT has Outpost Security Suite free, DT has Outpost Firewall Pro.
    After 2 days of attempting to set up Homegroup File and Printer sharing, and failing, I gave it up. Then I found it was possible and better, to use Network file and Printer sharing, which I have done.
    The default setting for the firewalls are, box A ticked. With this setting, I am unable to access from LT to DT.
    With LT at default and DT with boxes A+C or B only ticked, access is allowed.
    My question is, what is the safest LAN setting on my DT.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    RR,

What I do to get around this is to set up accounts on each machine that I want to access from another machine that is exactly {UserId & Password} like the machine I want to access it from. Clear as Mud right?

Machine 1:
    UserId Machine1 PW: Machine 1 {This is the user account on Machine 1}
    UserId Machine2 PW: Machine 2 {This is a copy of the user account on Machine 2}

Machine 2:
    UserId Machine 2 PW: Machine 2 {This is the user account on Machine 2}
    UserId Machine 1 PW: Machine 1 {This is a copy of the user account on Machine1}

With this setup you won't get prompted for UserId & Passwords when you try to access data on the other machine.

BTW: The extra user accounts on each machine can be hided from the logon screen.

Hidden User Accounts
    You can make a user account disappear, yet remain a full functioning account. This is useful for standard networking {no Home Group} on Win-7 The process does involve a registry edit.
    Normally when you log into Windows, you see the startup screen where you see all the icons for the users who have accounts. We are going to hide an account from this screen. If you want to log on as this user you have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome screen to make a Windows Security dialog box appear. Here you can type in the user name and password of the hidden account and log in. Limited Users shouldn't be able to see any sign of you except for the listing in the Documents and Settings folder. Other administrative users will be able to see your hidden account in Control Panel/User Accounts, so keep this in mind when you're planning this out.
    Before you begin with the instructions you should back up your System.

1. Start, Run and type regedit and click OK
    2. Navigate to HKEY\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\Userlis t.
      Note: You will not see this folder if you do not have show hidden system files turned on.
    3. Create a DWORD value, right click on the User list label file on the left side of the screen and select New>DWORD. You'll see the new entry in the right pane of the window, rename this value the name of the user account you want hidden (exactly how it is listed in the Startup screen, case sensitive) and leave the value at 0.
    4. Close your Registry Editor.
    5. Restart the PC.

When the Welcome screen comes up you'll notice that there's no icon for the user you just concealed. So how do you log in? This is where you press Ctrl+Alt+Del 2x's and the Windows Security Dialog box will come asking you to authenticate (name/password) after this the system should log you in.
    Here's one more thing you might want to keep in mind—Windows logon screen. This is the screen where you see the available users you can choose to log in as. You can turn this option on/off in the User Accounts (Start/Control Panel/User Accounts) then Change the way Users log in or off and Use Windows Welcome Screen and you need to turn it off if you plan on using a hidden account and there are no other accounts on the system. The reason why is, Windows doesn't have any user accounts to display in the Welcome screen, so it will continuously reboot. Now if you do run into this or any problems simply enter Safe mode at the next boot, this will allow you to go to the User Accounts Window and fix any problems. If you find that you can't log in at all with your hidden account go back and look at the registry value you created. Make sure you're spelling the user name is correct and that it's in the right location in the registry.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    RR,

I don't use your firewall, but the concept of a trusted host is supported by the firewall I use. Every single one of my computers is set as a trusted computer on the other computers on the network (thus a trusted host on your firewall lingo). This is the way to get access to any of them from any of them, too.
    Is this the safest way to do it? Well, if you don't trust your computers, you shouldn't allow access to them from your other computers. The risk here is that an infection on one, will have the potential to get to the other computers on the network. You either rely on your security software to do its work, or you prevent your computers to be able to access one another.

Thanks
    Hi RG, I have 1 laptop, 1 desktop, 1 user on each (me). LT & DT have same username & passwords, and can start without having to enter it. Both are on same 'Workgroup'. I added a standard user account many moons ago & found it more bother than I was prepared to tollerate.
    I can access files on DT from LT without having to enter a P/W. I have not set up to access files from DT to LT as its only on when in use.

Thanks
    Hi Rui, good point, but I trust my security and have never been infected. If I do, I have an image of my system using Acronis 2010 and can restore in about 4 minutes. I backup every 2 days or if one of my progs is updated.