5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Want Windows Live Mail on two machines

I won't start by saying why did Microsoft mess with Windows Mail which I was quite comfortable with? Oops, guess I did!

Using good old Woody's "Windows 7 for Dummies", I thought I'd set up my email just fine and that emails were coming into my account on both this PC and the Vista laptop. Today I discovered that, no, if they came into my account on the laptop, they wouldn't also download into the PC.

Is there a way to have the same account on both computers and have emails download into both?

Linda

EDIT Question #2: How do I find Accounts to check properties of account I created? All I can find is "Add new account".
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-02-11 at 15:41. Reason: Added extra question, marked EDIT

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The computer that has access to your email first is the on that will actually get the emails.
    I have an online account and if I want copies of specific emails saved to both my desltop and laptop I will leave
    a copy in a created folder in my online hotmail account for retrieval.

Account properties located under "email accounts", like so...
    Untitled.jpg

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for both answers, Clint. Couldn't quite figure out which screen you were showing me, but in trying to find it, I found a way to show the top line of Windows Live Mail (the one with File, Edit, View, etc. across it which was not showing earlier) ... and there was Accounts, just like in Window Mail!

Re. getting messages into both computers, understand. Think I understand how the copy save would work, too, as the web provider we use for email and our site has web mail. Haven't used it for a while, but will go back into it and check how to do what you suggest.

As always, appreciate your fast and helpful response!

Linda

Thanks
    When you are setting up your e-mail accounts under the Advanced Tab, there is a check box that says "Leave a copy of message on server" If you check that on the secondary computer, if it checks your mail first, then when your primary computer checks your e-mail they will all be there. Keep in mind however that should your primary computer check first, then the e-mails will not be available for the secondary computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    For future reference; we need to start including the version number when relating to Windows Live Mail.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, Clint. Hadn't realized I needed to do it. That's the reason our screens didn't agree! Version is 2009, Build (if that's needed) 14.0.8089.0722.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked and that option is checked in this computer. Tried to check email here before original laptop email program was opened and everything worked as you said: I received the messages here; then, when I turned on the laptop's mail, the messages were there as well. Thanks for the explanation.

Linda

Thanks
    There are three versions of the Windows Mail client in use today;
    Windows Mail (Build 6.0.6000.16386 the earliest successor to OE)
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (Version 2009 Build 14.0.8089.0726)
    Windows Live Mail 2011 (Version 2011 Build 15.4.3502.0922)

Functionality and graphical user interface will vary amung these similar sounding but disparate versions.

You can check and view version and build information by going to the individual programs "about" or help section.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the further clarification. Looks as if I have the middle one. When I rechecked About, I discovered I'd mistyped 0722 when I should have typed 0726. Sorry for any confusion.

Linda