New Lounger
    Thanks

Question about Defragging tools

OK, so I have a new computer, running Windows 7. I know about defragging, so I try to be fairly conscientious about it.

Here and in the Windows Secrets newsletters, I have seen Defraggler promoted often. I myself have been using it for quite awhile. Because I have been installing and uninstalling a lot of software as part of my new system setup, I have run Defraggler several times. At the end of my latest run (which took several hours), with only about 150GB of data on a 1TB drive, Defraggler says I still have 17% fragmentation on my drive. I can't seem to get it below that with Defraggler.

In perusing these forums, I saw that Auslogic's Disk Defrag was recommended by several individuals who seem to know what they're talking about. So I downloaded it and ran it. The first analysis said I had only 1% fragmentation. Cleanup took a couple minutes (!). Optimization took a little longer, but still not over 15 or 20 minutes.

My question (finally): Why the discrepancies between the two tools? Can anyone explain to me why Defraggler takes so much longer and still reports significant fragmentation at the end of a run, while Auslogic Disk Defrag runs much quicker and reports 0% fragmentation at the end of its run? Something seems a little out of kilter here...

...And (maybe more importantly) which tool is more reliable and trustworthy in what it does and reports?

Thanks,
    Chuck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Chuck,

I can't address your specific question but you should know that the NTFS file system does not require defragmentation as often as the old FAT32 file system. The structure is entirely different. I only defrag about 2 to 3 times a year now and don't seem to see much of a performance increase.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COBI View Post

My question (finally): Why the discrepancies between the two tools? Can anyone explain to me why Defraggler takes so much longer and still reports significant fragmentation at the end of a run, while Auslogic Disk Defrag runs much quicker and reports 0% fragmentation at the end of its run? Something seems a little out of kilter here...

Chuck,
    Hello... It could be what each program has set up ..Files \ folders to ignore (exclude)on the "defrag pass". I use "PD-11 RAXCO" Some of the file \folders are by default "excluded", unless i choose to place them in the Que. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Thanks
    Hi COBI, you can read about Auslogics Defrag Click Here
    This how mine is set:-

Attachment 27286
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Defraggler cannot defrag Stuff like the System Volume Information or Recovery, plus perhaps a few other open "System Files", which would probably show in Defraggler in red. You might try its "Boot-Time Defragmentation" which might do what Mark Russinovich's PageDefrag did under XP.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For me, itis the System Volume Information files that Defraggler will not defrag. These seem to be related to the amount of Restore points you have saved on your system. Another file is the Pagefile.sys which always shows up as 2 files on my computer. I only use the Quick defrag with Defraggler. I then click on the files list tab and click on the Fragments box twice to bring the files with extra fragmentation to the top of the list. You can then check the boxes and some of the files may defragment after clicking the Defrag checked box but don't bother with the 2 I mentioned. I ise MyDefrag once a month using the System Disk Monthly setting.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ldb View Post
    For me, itis the System Volume Information files that Defraggler will not defrag. These seem to be related to the amount of Restore points you have saved on your system. Another file is the Pagefile.sys which always shows up as 2 files on my computer.
    ldb,
    Hello.... using a function with PD-11 you can specify a "boot time defrag" This can defrag those files that are in use normally ... Don't know if Defraggler" can do that or not .... This might be another reason to move to a "pay for program " Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I also have read that Win 7 does not require or benefit as much from defragging as previous versions of Windows. Because of this, I only defrad (using Auslogics with both defrag and optimize) when I am about to create a new Up To Date Image. I clean out all the temp files, log files, error files, etc using several tools, get everything trimmed as best as I can, then defrag as the final step prior to Imaging. This gives me an Image as clean and optimized as I can get it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Win defragger and freeware utilities are limited in their capability to move/defrag several system files, so these will be left fragmented. Also, if the drive is low on space, these utilities cannot work well. Another point to note is that these have limited shadow copy service compatibility (chance of deleting older restore points).

Some of the commercial automatic defrag utilities don't have these limitations, but they're not free. However, you can always download their free trial versions for limited time use (approx 1 month IIRC).