New Lounger
    Thanks

Different shortcuts on start-up; no IconCache

I am running Windows Vista and when I boot up my computer it displays different icons and shortcuts.
    Sometimes there are 25 icons and then there's approximately 50 icons on my desktop. When my computer open with the fewer icons displayed I can't access a number of them e.g. Internet Explorer, iTunes, Spotify etc.
    Can anyone advise me what is happening and how to resolve this problem

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rossocol View Post
    I am running Windows Vista and when I boot up my computer it displays different icons and shortcuts.

Can anyone advise me what is happening and how to resolve this problem
    rossocol,
    Hello....Welcome to WS lounge. You can try to rebuild your "IconCache". To do this go to C:>Users>Your PC Name>AppData>Local>IconCache.db.... Right click on it and then "Delete".... Then Re-boot.... it will be rebuilt. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response PlainFred - unfortunately there is no IconCache displayed in Local so I am unable to perform the actions you suggest.

Cheers
    rossocol

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response PlainFred - unfortunately there is no IconCache displayed in Local so I am unable to perform the actions you suggest.
    rossocol
    rossocol,
    Hello... are you sure because i have loaded my Vista OS and it's there. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Another way to do it...

Manually Rebuild the Icon Cache using the Command Prompt
    From elevated command promt:
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    DEL IconCache.db /a
    shutdown /r

Thanks
    If you don't see the iconcache file, go to Control panel > Folder options > view tab and make sure the show hidden files and folders radio button is set.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred
    Unable to see IconCache. How do I insert an image to display what I am seeing - sorry I'm a bit new at this game.

Clint
    I'm a 'silver surfer' and struggling to complete the action as described using the Command Prompt

Jerry
    As suggested I've taken the action you have advised to show the Hidden Files and Folders but still can't see IconCache file!

Cheers
    Rossocol

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred
    Unable to see IconCache. How do I insert an image to display what I am seeing - sorry I'm a bit new at this game.
    rossocol,
    Hello... to take a "screenshot" you can use this free software from "Fastonecapture 5.3" it's about the easiest one around. You can download from this link http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categor...neCapture.html You will then have to install it and look through the options available EX: where to store the "Screenshot" (some folder on your PC ) make it anything you want. Once you have the "screenshot " when you post... use the "advanced " option and click on "Manage Attachments" then "browse " to your folder containing your "screenshot " and click on "Upload"When finished click on "Submit Reply"

PS: make sure that your following the exact "path" to the IconCache" that i outlined ...It's easy to go down the wrong one. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred - I've 'hopefully' attached a screenshot of what I am seeing and as you can se there is no IconCache.
    I've followed the instructions you gave me regarding the location of IconCache and the filepath displayed to me appears to be correct. Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Rossocol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Any suggestions?
    rossocol,
    Hello... At this point you should try CLiNT's "rebuild" IconCache example ..Don't have any idea about what would make it seemingly vanish ? Make sure that you run the "Command Prompt" as "Administrator" (right click on it) The only other suggestion is that the file must be somewhere on your PC or you wouldn't have any "Icons" So.... do a search for it.. Download this program (free) "Everything" http://www.voidtools.com/ set it up to only look in your C: volume, or if you have multiple drives it will scan all. Once downloaded and installed , type in the search box IconCache.db and it will show you where it is hiding. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - I will give it go.
    Many thanks for your time, effort and suggestions

Rossocol

Thanks
    Clarification:

Get yourself to an elevated command promt
    (The above link will show you how)
    Then copy and paste the following into it:
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local