3 Star Lounger
    Kendrick, Idaho, USA

Link to records from a graphic

I'm updating a system to Access 2010. This is a maintenance record system, with maintenance planned, in progress, and completed for a manufacturing plant. I was asked if it is possible to display a graphic of the machinery and let the user click a machine component to access records pertaining to that location - essentially filter by where the mouse clicks. I know you could map a graphic in FrontPage and assign hyperlinks to each area . . . but I don't know what to do in Access!

I welcome suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

Super Moderator
    Evergreen, CO, USA
    Unfortunately, neither the Access Image control or the Access Bound Object Frame control provide you with mouse position coordinates in a usable fashion. I think your best bet - unless to want to resort to low-level system calls - is to look at an ActiveX Image control. We've used a number of controls from DBI Technologies with good success, but they don't seem to have an image control that does that either. There is a company called Chestysoft that appears to have an ActiveX control that does return mouse coordinates - - but I don't have any experience with the company or their controls. It won't be a trivial exercise, but I do think it is doable. Hope this helps.