2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Number format in TOC doesn't match text

Hi everyone,

Let me preface this by saying that I had a really good handle on how numbering worked prior to Word 2007.

<Please see the attached document>

My user has built a TOC busing the heading styles. TOC 2 and TOC 3 are working fine, but the font for the number being applied to TOC 1 doesn't match the font for the text of the entry (it looks like the number is Arial, bold, and big while the text is TNR, not bold, and smaller).

I think the problem is that a font (Arial), font style (bold), and size (14) have been applied to the number in the Heading 1 Style. These font characteristics haven't been applied to Heading 2 or Heading 3. Unfortunately when I try to remove these the dialog allows me to do so but when I click OK it puts them back.

What am I doing wrong? How can I remove these font characteristics?

TIA,

Beej
    Attached Files Attached Files

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It sounds like the bolding was set in the numbering. Clear that to allow the heading paragraph style to format the numbers in the text and the TOC paragraph style to format the numbers in the TOC. I'm on my way to an appointment. I'll try to look at the document later.

A little later ...
    After actually checking the file, I see that you are correct. Manual formatting on the heading 1 number is, by design, being carried into the TOC. To get rid of it, click on the level 1 number and press Crtrl+spacebar.

Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2011-02-14 at 17:03.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Beej,

Unfortunately it looks like there are a number of other things gone wrong here, and you may just have to rebuild this document (or the template these documents are based on) from scratch:

First, if you go to modify the Heading styles, it turns out that each succeeding Heading style is based on the preceding Heading style level. (So Heading 2 is based on Heading 1, Heading 3 is based on Heading 2, etc.) This is a double no-no:
    1) Never base any style that is to be associated with numbering, on any other style that's associated with numbering - that just ties Word up in knots, to the point where it may be impossible to fix. Each style that's associated with numbering should be based on the same base style, preferably Normal style.
    2) Out of the box, all of Word's Heading styles are based on Normal - and safest practice is to leave it that way. I can't point to a specific immediate problem with basing Heading levels on each other as has been done here, but considering how many built-in Word features revolve around the built-in Heading styles, it's common sense not to mess with the Heading styles' 'based on' settings.

Maybe someone else will have better luck, but having tried what you tried and what Pam tried, it keeps reverting back, as you described.

Also, you mention Word 2007, but this document is '.doc' file, and looks like it was created in an earlier version of Word. For one thing, starting with Word 2007, Heading styles are all 'linked styles' (so that you see both the paragraph and character style icons after them when listed in the Styles pane.) In this document, the Heading styles are just Paragraph styles.

No doubt it's going to a pain, but the best thing may be to start with a brand-new Word 2007 shell, and rebuild this template from scratch. (sorry!)

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This time I cleared manual formatting from all three numbers (by selecting each autonumber, not the entire paragraph) and then updated the TOC. The TOC 1 number is no longer bold. I created three more headings and updated the TOC. I saved, closed, and reopened the file. The headings are still OK as is the TOC. I think that may be the fix. Let us know.

Pam

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Pam,

Just tried as you suggest and it does work. So this is a fix for the immediate problem.
    But there's still a lot of instability in the Heading styles that suggests problems down the road without a deeper fix - especially if this is to be used a template. Try the following in the sample document:

Insert three paragraphs with Heading 1, Heading 2 and Heading 3.
    With the Styles pane open, click on each of the three paragraphs in turn, in the document proper. Cycle through clicking on all three paragraphs a few times.
    As you do, the bold/not bold property of the representation of the autonumber in the Styles pane changes in strange ways - when the Heading 1 paragraph is clicked on, the autonumber for Heading 2 turns bold in the styles pane. And when you click on the Heading 3 style, the autonumber for Heading 1 turns bold in the Styles pane.

Next, hover your cursor over the three Heading styles in the styles pane, moving over them in sequence a few times. The bolding of the autonumbers keeps changing in random ways.

Neither of those things should be happening - and with the Heading styles set up based on each other in turn as they are, more things are likely to go wrong with the document, down the line, imo.

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi, Gary,

I see in the file before cleanup what you describe. I just thought it was the manual formatting being toggled on, not on, and off. I see this often in the find what box and when I base heading styles on the one before, which I usually do. I like the convenience of only having to change the heading font once, and have not had problems with circular references. I wonder, though, whether themes will work better with the based-on set to normal.

Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2011-02-16 at 20:00.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Pam,

If basing Heading styles on the one before has been working for you, then I'm going to start being less emphatic about the need to avoid it!

My aversion to the practice is based on early days with Word, and seeing some awful numbering knots that appeared to be caused by it, and I've been avoiding it ever since. There's still something about basing a style that's to be associated with a level of numbering, on another style that's associated with another level of numbering, that just seems likely to cause trouble, so I'll still advise steering clear of it (just a bit more gently!).

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Frieder; 2011-02-16 at 17:02. Reason: minor edit

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Gary

I also base all my Heading styles on the preceding level and haven't had problems with the numbering - but I do enforce all outline numbering lists with a series of macros rather than rely on the list being stable forever.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the feedback! I found a quick-fix solution, but the information here is exactly what I needed to know for the long term.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I prefer basing all my heading styles on Heading 1. Thus avoiding numbering problems. Also, it allows you to change all your basic heading style by simply changing Heading 1. For example in 2007 the default heading style is Calibri in a light blue color which doesn't suit me at all, so I change Heading 1 to my desired font and all the rest follow suit.