5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hardware Updates from Microsoft?

My XP MCE desktop is showing 4 hardware updates available in the Custom area of Windows Updates: for my AMD processor, a Darfon Bluetooth device, a Marvell Yukon Ethernet controller, and an nVidia GeForce display. In years past I always heard it was a bad idea to do updates this way (getting them from Microsoft). Is that still the case?

Thanks
    Generally the driver updates are originally from the manufacturers, and have been tested and approved by MS, then made available by MS on their update site. These probably are not the newest drivers, but the newest approved by MS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    That is still generally the case. Have you updated the drivers for any of those devices?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDetroit View Post
    My XP MCE desktop is showing 4 hardware updates available in the Custom area of Windows Updates: for my AMD processor, a Darfon Bluetooth device, a Marvell Yukon Ethernet controller, and an nVidia GeForce display. In years past I always heard it was a bad idea to do updates this way (getting them from Microsoft). Is that still the case?
    I would compare the driver updates that MS is offering with those of the original manufacturer. In most cases the MS offerings with provide minimal but effective functionality.
    You may find yourself needing the extra software that may come bundled with a particular driver that may only come directly from the manufacturer.
    And, as Ted points out, the MS offering may not be the most up to date.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    That is still generally the case. Have you updated the drivers for any of those devices?

Joe
    Nope, haven't updated any of these since I bought the PC.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If your PC is working fine (i.e. no device problems) then you should probably just leave things alone. Hide the driver updates in Windows Update. OTOH, if you think you need to update the drivers I recommend you check with the OEM vendor for each hardware component and find the most current driver for your hardware. Check out what the driver update is offering. It may or may not be of use to you. Remember that there could be several updates to check for functionality but you should only have to install the latest.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm with Joe. The only MS updates you should be considering is those marked Critical or Important and are specifically related to security patches. MS is not the best place to update hardware drivers, and in fact may cause you more trouble than need. When it comes to hardware and drivers, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    Chuck