Thanks

Outlook 2003-"Saving" Order of Favorite Folders

Using Outlook 2003, I have it set up to access multiple gmail accounts (IMAP). I have added the Inboxes of each gmail account to the Favorite Folders portion of the Navigation Pane. When I first set up Outlook, the Inbox folders always remained under the 4 standard folders in Favorite Folders. (That's the Inbox, Unread Mail, For Follow Up, and Sent Mail folders.)

This is how they first appeared:
    Inbox
    Unread Mail
    For Follow Up
    Sent Mail
    Inbox for Gmail Account #1
    Inbox for Gmail Account #2
    Inbox for Gmail Account #3
    Now, however, they appear this way:
    Inbox for Gmail Account #1
    Inbox for Gmail Account #2
    Inbox for Gmail Account #3
    Inbox
    Unread Mail
    For Follow Up
    Sent Mail
    I can manually rearrange the folders to the way they first were, but if and when I close and start Outlook, again, the folder order is back to the way it was before I rearranged them.

My search for answers elsewhere such as Microsoft's Outlook support, help pages and similar non-Microsoft pages has been fruitless.

I am on Win7 and I do regularly copy the Personal Folder (.pst) file between computers to keep them in sync.

Is it possible for me to save or lock in the order of folders in Favorite Folders or not? If so, how can I do this? Thanks.

Thanks
    It appears that my shortcuts are stored here on Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.xml

(Note: the name of the .xml file matches the name of the Outlook profile; Outlook is the default, but you may have others.)

In that file, there is a section named Recently Used that lists the Favorites in the order they currently appear. (Which, as an experiment, I changed before looking in the file.)

I wonder whether Win 7's privilege scheme is preventing Outlook from updating the .xml file, and therefore changes are lost between sessions?
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-02-15 at 15:34. Reason: Fix typo, clarify path+name

Thanks
    For Win7 the path top Outlook.xml is C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outloo k.

I am looking at the file in explorer and it does appear that the file saves. The file data changes. Looking at the file in an editor, it looks like no matter what we do to the folder order, Outlook saves them back to Outlook.xml only one way (based on <storeid>).

Thanks
    Well, I ended up resolving this by finding an Outlook backup utility--not the one from Microsoft, either--that can be used to backup and transfer/restore to another computer. The utility is BackRex Outlook Backup Demo. I removed the existing Outlook profile on the computer where I was having the problem. I then backed up things from the computer where things were OK. After "restoring" to the first computer, all that was left was to enter my password for each email account. Once that was done, everything was back to normal.