New Lounger
    Thanks

backup and restore an image - iMac and Windows 7

I am using an iMac and have put Windows 7 on a partition and am using bootcamp to boot to either Mac or Windows. I purchased two products from Acronis to make an image of my windows partition, which worked fine. When I tried to restore that Windows partition, it failed. After spending a couple of hours with a tech in India, we came to the conclusion that Acronis True Image 2011 Home version will not work in this setup. To be honest, the explanation confused me. It said something like when Acronis tries to restore the partition, it will look for certain Windows drivers and will not find them. It will find the drivers from Mac used in bootcamp.

So, my question is this: I am uncomfortable with not having a system to restore the Windows partition on my iMac. While running Windows on an iMac is not that common, it will become so in a while now that Mac uses Intel chips. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can back up and restore my Windows partition in this set up. I am most willing to purchase software if it can do it.

Thanks
    Have you tried making and restoring a 'clone' of your system. I have never used it. If you do, you will need a minimum of 2 external hdd's. i.e. make your first clone, then when needed make a second on the other hdd. Now when you need a new clone (3) quick format hdd with old clone before hand, this willl give 1 recent copy + a spare.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Just a quick thought, but perhaps you can do a complete image of the entire HDD.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sharjohn View Post

So, my question is this: I am uncomfortable with not having a system to restore the Windows partition on my iMac. While running Windows on an iMac is not that common, it will become so in a while now that Mac uses Intel chips. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can back up and restore my Windows partition in this set up. I am most willing to purchase software if it can do it.

Here's what I did to enlarge my Win7 bootcamp partition. All done in OS X.
    As a byproduct, I have images of both Win7 and OS X partitions.

image OS X using SuperDuper
    image the Win7 bootcamp partition with WinClone
    reformat and reinstall OS X
    SuperDuper back the original OS X image
    Run bootcamp, create Win7 partition, and install new copy of Win7
    now back to OS X and WinClone back the original Win7 partition
    Done.

New Lounger
    Thanks

backup and restore an image - iMac and Windows 7

thanks davidowlcaller. I will give that a try.