New Lounger
    Thanks

Long term problem

Years ago I had some small problems with USB devices. I thought they were the device. Then I had a problem updating my graphic driver. The card works with lower drivers. If I update the computer will crash when booting. I can get into safe mode but have to roll back the driver in order to boot normally.

Now I have two devices that work fine on my wife's portable but have problems with my computer. One is a hard drive. Two external hard drive works just fine but one beeps. My book nook starts cycling connect and disconnect when connected to my computer. Both work fine on the laptop.

This is a computer I built myself. Motherboard is a ASUS 775 P5QL-I/SI. The video card is a ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2. I have windows 7 64.

The computer works well but these problem worry me. I really would like to update the video drivers. I can live without my book nook and that other drive working. I only added it because it might be related.

I really hope someone has run into something like this before and can point me in the right direction.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I'd first check all the hardware connections. Then run hardware tests - disk, ram. If those are all clean it could be a failing or underpowered power supply.

Joe

Thanks
    You could use an app such as HWMonitor to check the PS voltages while at idle and under load. If the PC is older (you did not say how old) then it could very well be under powered PS. Hardware power requirements have gotten larger as time has gone on, whereas the older PS has not gotten larger. I have also seen PS failures that started as intermittent problems, then gradually became catostropic.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Fist,

You might also check the ASUS site to see if there any BIOS updates. I recently upgraded a friends Toshiba Laptop from Vista to 7. The upgrade went fine then in the last reboot it would BSOD! After much searching I found I needed a BIOS upgrade. Reload from my Image backup, flash the BIOS, run the upgrade, presto change a functioning Win 7 machine.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Joeperez, did every hardware test I can think of. Everything tests well.

Tedshemyers, I was thinking it might be a power supply problem except for the boot up crash. I got the best P/S I could find when I built the machine and just ran the HWM. It is showing it working fine.

RetiredGeek, Iíll give the ASUS site another look later this afternoon. I try to keep my BIOS updated but donít remember when the last time I checked this computer for an upgrade.

Thanks all for the help. The HWM will now be part of my testing software.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Check for chipset drivers too.

Joe