New Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Discovery of Folder Types (Windows 7)

The Windows 7 "automatic discovery of folder types" in Windows Explorer makes me crazy. Almost every time I open a folder, the presentation of my files is different.

I have tried resetting individual folders and their sub-folders, but my new settings never stick.

I have searched the internet for an answer to the problem, and the best solution (in my opinion) offered by various persons is a "registry hack" that was developed for Vista.

My preference is to have all my files set as "documents".

Before "hacking" my registry, I wonder if there are others using this forum who are frustrated with the "automatic discovery" feature, and what they have done to solve the problem (especially in Windows 7).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    My settings have "stuck" when I've chnged a type. So, I've not really worried about it.

But, here are some pre-build registry files to accomplish this for Windows 7 - Folder Template - Default - Windows 7 Forums.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks. I had seen that website but was not sure what I would be getting into. Maybe I missed the "installation" instructions. I suppose I should not worry as long as I first back up my registry. Do I just double-click on a link? Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, found the install instructions (they were right under my nose) and applied the Documents template. It seems to be working well. Thanks again to Joe.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You're welcome. Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting back.

Joe