3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Download and License

Last summer I purchased an ASUS EeeBox EB1501 for use as a media PC. It works very well for the tasks it was intended. ASUS did not provide a Windows 7 Install disk and I would like to be able to totally reinstall Windows should a problem develop. I could try to order a disk from ASUS, but their customer support is spotty at best.

I downloaded a Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit OS file from Microsoft and made an install disk out of it. I also downloaded all of the drivers for this box from ASUS. My question is: If I need to reinstall Windows on that PC is it possible to use the downloaded version and plug in the serial number that is on the side of my ASUS EB1501? I well understand that every installation of Windows needs it Serial Number or install key, whatever it's called. It seems to me that the above solution should work. I'm just uncertain about the downloaded file from Microsoft.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

--Bob Harris
    -Bob Harris http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/pub...ult/cheers.gif
    "Seek Simplicity, Then Mistrust It!"

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think it's gonna work cause the disk you made (I don't think anyway) was the OEM version for Asus that was installed on the PC and for which the product key on it is for.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If ASUS provided a recovery partition often there is a utility to create DVDs.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Win-7 keys.

Hello, Robert.

In my experience , the keys on the bottom of an OEM machine do not match the ones used by ASUS. I would advise you to get hold of the analysis programme called SIW ( Sofware Information for Windows ) and fish out the keys used on your machine, secure them somewhere else, just in case.

Also, to ally your fear, it would be so much easier to clone your machine to an USB HD rather than try and redo it all from scratch. Some fine programmes are available for this, I use Acronis and I reclone at least monthly to be safe. I also clone before I do a large install of anything. If push comes to shove, I can in about 15 minutes, clone back and be on my merry way. It has saved my neck a few times already.

Creating DVDs is good, I will not knock it, but this will give you an "out-of-the-box" machine again. You would loose all your personal stuff, a clone is good as when you do it.

Give it a go. Be good. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2011-02-16 at 18:04.

Thanks
    I would suggest creating Up To Date Images using any good Imaging app rather than reinstalling Win 7 from the get go. With an Image, the Image will include all apps installed, all customizations you have made, all data, everything on the HD. This is far quicker than reinstalling the original Win 7 then having to install everything else and customizing everything.

Read all about Imaging in various threads in Security and Backups forum
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harris View Post
    Last summer I purchased an ASUS EeeBox EB1501 for use as a media PC. It works very well for the tasks it was intended. ASUS did not provide a Windows 7 Install disk and I would like to be able to totally reinstall Windows should a problem develop. I could try to order a disk from ASUS, but their customer support is spotty at best.

I downloaded a Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit OS file from Microsoft and made an install disk out of it. I also downloaded all of the drivers for this box from ASUS. My question is: If I need to reinstall Windows on that PC is it possible to use the downloaded version and plug in the serial number that is on the side of my ASUS EB1501? I well understand that every installation of Windows needs it Serial Number or install key, whatever it's called. It seems to me that the above solution should work. I'm just uncertain about the downloaded file from Microsoft.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

--Bob Harris
    You can't use your OEM license in place of the newly purchased retail copy of Windows 7. You need to be using the license from your newly purchased Windows 7 32 bit home premium you just bought when you do the clean install.

Now, if your original computer's operating system was also a retail home premium copy, instead of an OEM copy, that would be a different story.
    You would then be able to do it.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-02-16 at 20:49. Reason: Addition

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harris View Post
    I downloaded a Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit OS file from Microsoft and made an install disk out of it.......
    ...... If I need to reinstall Windows on that PC is it possible to use the downloaded version and plug in the serial number that is on the side of my ASUS EB1501?..........

--Bob Harris
    Did you get a new license key when you downloaded the Win 7 from Microsoft? If yes, why not just use that key on a reinstall?

Unless absolutely necessary, my personal preference is not to do a reinstall of Windows and all drivers, programs, etc.

As previously mentioned by others, an up to date Clone Image or Backup Image can be used to restore all programs(including Windows), all drivers, data, etc. the way they were. The restore of a Clone/Backup is done very quickly compared to a total reinstall of everything.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the great responses

First, I must apologize for the tardiness in responding to all of the suggestions. There were probblems in the connection to the Lounge that I did not realize.

I have saved this thread and will keep it for future reference. I wish to sincerely thank everyone who responded. It is this sort of help that makes this such a great place to resolve the unexpected IT question.

--Bob Harris
    -Bob Harris http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/pub...ult/cheers.gif
    "Seek Simplicity, Then Mistrust It!"

Thanks
    Don't bother with the serial number printed on the case. It's a "bulk" key used by OEMs and most likely will not work, unless you want to call MS and activate Windows by phone. There is a tool called Activation Backup and Restore (ABR) which will save and restore your activation data.

http://directedge.us/content/abr-act...up-and-restore

Scroll down to "ABR Beta With Windows 7 Support". I have used it for three clean installs. It worked like a charm.
    Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    HP G72-227wm - Windows 7 Professional x64 (SP1)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The following steps should work (I've done them several times): Using any retail CD for Windows 7, run through the install. When it asks for the CD key, don't enter anything. When it lets you select which OS variation, make sure you pick the correct one (the one that cane with you system). After the installation is finished. go to Computer | Properties and click on the link to enter you CD key. Then enter the key from the tag on your system. It should accept the key.

As others have pointed out, the CD key you have will not work with the CD you have because it is an OEM key. It should, however, work with an OEM CD, but those are a little trickier to get hold of. If you have a friend who custom built her PC and she has an OEM CD, then you could borrow it (or make a copy) and install using it and providing your CD key during the install.

The key point is that you used the CD key on the tag on your system, and that key gives you the right to run that version of the OS on your hardware. Regardless of how you got the OS installed/reinstalled. Also, make sure you don't activate until you enter your CD key (I don't think it will let you, but just in case).