New Lounger
    Thanks

Time and date stamp on documents

When a document is written and saved, does the hard drive record the date and time that it was written from the software clock or does it have its own built in clock?

In other words, if a document was typed up and saved on a computer that was set to a different time zone and date, what time and date would be set on the document in the hard drive?

I am trying to establish if the date and time in the document properties is in GMT or the time zone set on the software clock.

Would the hard drive record the correct date and time that the file was written or the time and date that the computer was set to at that time?

I am concerned that the windows software clock was set to Australian time and therefore when documents were saved, they were saved to that time zone.

Also, will the hard drive record when the time zone and date was changed by the user?

Thanks

Thanks

Cool

Every file in any IBM compatible PC is time stamped according to the time set into the "Real Time Clock" chip on the motherboard. That time is loaded into Windows on every re-boot.

If you change the time or date in windows, it is transferred to the Real Time Clock (chip) on the mobo. OK?

Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    To convince yourself how it works, you could always try the various options.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok!

So let me see if I get it?!

Here's the scenario....

My pc is Australian. I brought it to the UK and set the windows time and date on the desk top to GMT.

You're saying that time is transferred to the real time clock on the mobo. So that is now operating at GMT.

So if I type out and save a document, its properties will show the GMT time on the RTC?

I am trying to evidence that a document was written on a specific day, but the boss is saying that I could have just changed the time zone and really want to prove him wrong.

But, if i'm right, you're saying that what ever time you set the windows time to on the desktop, the RTC follows and the hard drive records that time too....

I was hoping to demonstrate that I havent changed the time on the windows clock, but again I bet the hard drive doesnt record changing the windows time does it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The time stamps in a Windows system are all stored in UTC. Then they are adjusted to the display of the particular PC viewing the file. Changing the time zone & thus the displayed time on a PC would indeed affect the time on all documents saved while the time was set in that manner. The HD on a PC is not responsible for the timestamp on files the operating system is.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Just one more question.

I have a similar problem with documents that were written by a house mate on my pc. I think that he changed the windows clock to a previous time and date, typed out the documents he claimed to have written and saved 8 months ago, saved the docs and then changed the windows clock back to the present time and date. Very sneaky!
    The document says that it was written 8 months ago, but will I be able to find out if they were written on a recent date? What will the hard drive have stored?

Cheers

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The HD only saves what it is directed to save by the OS.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have a backup of the folder in question, look at the prior backup and see if that doc appears in the backup.