Thread: high cpu usage

New Lounger
    Thanks

high cpu usage

I have this problem too and have done the following to pinpoint it as being with IE 8.

Opening Task manager before starting browser then sorting by CPU and monitoring CFPU usage whilst browser is in use and after closing.

I have found the following:

While browsing normally there is no problem. Typically IE and Firefox both briefly go up to 50% cpu whilst starting and occasionally whilst opening a page but only very briefly.

However after closing IE or after closing a single IE tab an instance of IE on task master flits about between 40-50% CPU. If I close multiple tabs simultaneously i get an instance of high CPU for each closed tab. this immediately causes lockup of laptop only fixable by reboot.

Note this is occurring after IE is no longer a running application. The instance of IE on high CPU usage persists indefinitely long after browsing has terminated. Even when nothing is showing on the Applications tab as running at all.

I have found the only way i can use IE is to use task manager to close this high CPU after each tab is closed and to only use a single tab at a time.

I have further experimented by individually closing browser addons and found that the problem also happens when none of these addons are enabled. So its not an addon issue.

I have moved up to the latest IE 9 beta and the problem continues. Other issues with that browser led me to revert to IE8.

The problem began around about the turn of the year and I suspect some AutoUpdate to have been responsible.

Anyway i now only use IE for some online banking applicatiosn I use requiring Activex controls.

PS

I use Windows 7 Home 64 bit, MSSE 2, regularly run Malwarebytes and Superantispyware so do not belive its down to any malware.
    Last edited by jiffy128; 2011-02-17 at 06:55. Reason: additional info

Thanks
    Hi jiffy, when closing a browser, click file>exit.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried running IE with addons disabled?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes Joe

Its no different will all addons disabled.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It sure reads as though some addin is the culprit.

Is your system up-to-date with patches?

About the time it started did you add any new software or hardware?

Joe

Thanks

Thumbs up

Jiffy, have you looked at the 'Task Manager's' Processes tab to see whats using power ?

Attachment 27514
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner,

I don't believe Windows Task Manager will provide an in-depth view of what is happening. Recommend you look into Process Explorer and Process Monitor from Sysinternals,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896645

Let us know if you need further assistance with these.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No offence menat Joe and Roderunner but read my opriginal posting again and you will se ethat i have isolated the cause by monitoring CPU Usage using Task manager and have tried all Add-ins disabled.

I repeat the problem starts AFTER I close either tabs in an Explotrer session that is still running OR after i close Explorer altogether. Once the Explorer window has closed a new Explorer session begins on Task Manager running approx 50% CPU. if I switch to Applications window on task manager there is no explorer session running. If I close Explorer with 2 or more Tabs running then after it closes 1 new session starts per TAB each at approx 50% CPU at which point my l;aptop locks completely and I have to power it off and reboot.

I use Windows Update to keep up to date and belive the problem began around the turn of the year when there were some IE updates applied. i also stopped using sandboxie around that time and uninstalled it.

I am using other browsers now instead.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffy128 View Post
    I am using other browsers now instead.
    With this response I assume you've put this issue aside for now. But please keep an eye on your processes to ensure there is no malware at work here.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have to use IE whenever I do my Internet banking as no other browser supports the Activex controls used so I have ben able to use other browsers instead butn occasionally check this still happens.

I suspected the problem began when Windows Update applied some patches to IE around the turn of the year.

And I am now convinced that was the cause.

The problem has mysteriously gone away after last month's Patch Tuesday included several more IE updates.