Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

back-up image. Acronis versus built-in program

I have Acronis True Image on my XP desktop but it needs a later version for my wife's new laptop running Windows 7. Currently on the desktop I save to "secure zone" - a hidden partition on the hard drive, plus an external drive. If I used the built-in image creator in Win 7 on the laptop can I reasonably make a new partition and save to that as a pseudo secure zone - if so, will the "recovery boot CD" find it - or would I do better to upgrade my Acronis to a later compatible version.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't care for that feature. Backing up on a different partition depends on your hard drive not failing. An external USB drive is inexpensive and saved me way too many times.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think Windows 7 Image backup will even allow you to use the same hard drive as the one you're backing up (maybe to another partition, but I don't think so).

In any case, I agree with the previous post--backing up to a partition on the same hard drive is about as low a level of protection as you could possible get. Just use an external drive.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You would do better to go to the Acronis users' forum and read what's going on with ATI 2010 & 2011 before even THINKING about buying a recent iteration of Acronis. Apparently, it works for the most basic of functions (as do MANY free programs), but NOT the stuff you pay $49.95 for.

Thanks
    Check the various posts on imaging in the Security and Backups forums for suggestions on this topic. I use both Acronis TI 2010 (wife's PC) and 2011 (my PC) with great success on both. I recreate Images whenever I make a change in my PC. For example I just created a new Image because I uninstalled Quicken Dluxe 2008 and installed Quicken Deluxe 2011. This justified a new Image in my book so that if something bad happen, I will be back up in less than 10 minutes with an OS that is identical to just prior to the problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also use Acronis TI 2010 and 2011. I especially like the Clone image when adding a new hard drive. I use TI's scheduling feature to make weekly Backup images.

I like to have external drives for insurance/safety.
    Saw a nice deal today (expires 2/23/11) for a 2TB external USB 2.0/eSata for $80.
    Fantom Drives GreenDrive Pro 2TB USB 2.0 / eSATA External Hard Drive

I trust the vendor for fast shipping and excellent packaging.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Again,
    If you're intending to do MANUAL IMAGE backups, Acronis seems to work well; - If you want to set up an automated backup schedule - fuhgeddaboutit. You might also check out the user reviews on Amazon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Again,
    If you're intending to do MANUAL IMAGE backups, Acronis seems to work well; - If you want to set up an automated backup schedule - fuhgeddaboutit. You might also check out the user reviews on Amazon.
    This might be your experience, but not mine, and certainly not many others who use Acronis for their backup needs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have both TI2010 and 11. After I added a 2nd drive to my desktop neither one "sees" my 2nd drive when I try to recover with an Acronis image.

I have had an open problem being "worked" by Acronis (up to their so-called highest level technicians) since 10/29/2010.

Consequently, I use Acronis to back up my data drive, and take a system image using W7's capabilities.

Because I like to "play" and experiment, I have had to use my W7 images to recover successfully at least 3 times since I stopped
    using Acronis system images. In fairness, I have successfully recovered data using Acronis' capabilities.

If I ever get that problem resolved by Acronis I will report back on their "success." Until then, I'll be looking out for a bunch of
    flying pigs.

Dick

Thanks
    I have had isssues with True image scheduled image backups. If I forget to plug in the target external hard drive at the backup scheduled time, the backup fails and doesn't automatically run when I plug it in. I have to manually initiate the backup. Secondly, even though I have it set to delete the oldest backup when the disk is full, the backup fails on a full target disk and I have to manually delete backups to create free space and manually start the backups again.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    would I do better to upgrade my Acronis to a later compatible version.
    Mike 21,
    Hello... I use Acronis True Image Home 2010 V7046.... (with Vista and "7" )The newer versions seem to have many "bugs" just take a read of this http://forum.acronis.com/forums/acro...-true-image-ho Some do not have problems.. depending on many variables (with 2011 ). I have used "TI" version 11 , 2009(total looser) and now 2010 V 7046 ...the new update has problems as well ...My advice is purchase 2010 and install "update 7046" and stick there ...for now Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-02-18 at 19:21.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acronis image v W7 image

I have read the adverse comments about Acronis 2011, but as I have always done only manual image backups, with no concurrent operations, and been saved disaster several times, I have decided to upgrade (24) from Acronis 11 to 2011. I copy to a "secure zone" on the hard drive plus an external removable drive - if I can boot into windows it is easier to restore from the secure zone, otherwise I use the external drive image. Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Well Mike, all programs have their good and bad points. Acronis is no exception....

I have been using it successfully for years.

Like I said earlier, the bugs in the program never seem to get fixed and then they come out with a new version, yearly now, with most of the bugs from the earlier version and a slew of new ones to deal with...

There is absolutely no reason to upgrade every year unless you see something in the newer version you would like to have.

I image daily on a schedule to two separate internal hard drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Some manufacturers seem to have found a way to make some bucks - come out with a new version every year. There is nothing wrong with that. The real problem is when those versions really bring nothing new and some even exhibit astonishing quality control issues. This was the case with Acronis 2011, which I upgraded from 2010. It only lasted on my laptop for a backup and two image verification ops - absurd op duration messages and the double amount of time to backup being the major issues. I went back to Acronis 2010 and I think I will keep it for as long as this version supports the OSes I use - Windows 7 in this case. Acronis strategy, in this particular situation, made them lose my willingness to keep upgrading, and I had done so since Acronis True Image 8.0.

Thanks
    My feelings exactly ruirib.
    I never have had problems doing scheduled backups.
    You just have to set them up carefully and they work just fine.

With the release of 2010 you have to do everything from the within the program. Prior to 2010 you could delete old images with Windows Explorer now you have to delete them from within TI which is a pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast