Thanks

Using Task Scheduler for MSE

I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for quite some time on my Windows 7 machine, and I have to say I do enjoy it. However, after following Woody's advice to turn off automatic updates, I realized that MSE wouldn't automatically update its definitions. Additionally, sometimes I do not use my computer at the scheduled time for a virus scan, and MSE doesn't defer the scan to the next time you turn on your computer. Since I sometimes forget to manually update it, and I want MSE to run the scheduled scan even if I turn my comp on after it was supposed to run, I was wondering if there was a way to use Task Scheduler to solve these issues.

I tried running a Scheduler script myself, but it kept giving me the error that {0} task no longer existed. I realized this was due to the Disk Defragment task being turned off, since I use Defraggler to schedule defragmenting instead. Is there any way I can get Task Scheduler to ignore the deactivated Defrag task, and therefore run a MSE update/scan task? Would it be simpler to schedule MSE to run a deferred scan, and configure MSE to check for updates before the scan, thus eliminating the extra task in the Scheduler? Or would this result in a priority clash between MSE and Task Scheduler? I know it sounds confusing, but once I get this set up, it would save me a lot of trouble with MSE!

Thanks
    Hi Diogones, MSE updates are done by the program itself & Windows update. As to scans, it will inform you if on is overdue.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Diogenes:

Is this what you want to do:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/how-...ovyPost.com%29

Sorry for the full link. I'm not smart enough to use a hyper-word instead of the full link.

Dick

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick-Y For This Useful Post:

cws (2011-02-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    Sorry for the full link. I'm not smart enough to use a hyper-word instead of the full link.
    Dick
    Hi Dick, once you've copied your link, write the text you want, drag the cursor over it, (it will change colour) then add your link in the usual way.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner:
    Thanks for that tip.
    Best,
    Dick

Thanks
    Thank you for the link Dick-Y, it was helpful. However, that tutorial only demonstrates how to schedule deferred virus definition updates. I was looking for a way to schedule a deferred virus scan. Since MSE will automatically check for updates before it scans, (if the option is enabled) I would only have to ensure that Task Scheduler has the MSE scan configured to run.

Roderunner, I am confused as to your response. My version of MSE doesn't inform me at all if it is overdue, and it doesn't do deferred scans. That is, if I schedule MSE to scan at 7:00, but I turn my computer on at 8:00, it will not scan, and it won't inform me about it either. I discovered this problem when I checked my MSE status, which read that I hadn't run a scan in two days, despite being scheduled. With Task Scheduler, I could avoid this situation. I just need to know how.