New Lounger
    Thanks

Randomly jumping cursor on a Dell Studio 15 lapto

I have a very aggravating problem for which I've found no solution. When typing (within any application or the browser), at random times the cursor jumps to a random location anywhere on the screen and begins inserting typed text. I know I'm not grazing or bumping the mouse pad below the keyboard. Has anyone experienced this or know what's happening?

Thanks
    I would indeed suspect that you are, inadvertently, brushing the track pad with your hand when typing! It used to happen to me on a Toshiba Tecra, to my considerable infuriation.

I suggest you go into Control Panel -> Mouse (or similar) and hunt through the options of all the tabs to see whether there is an option to desensitise the track pad or "turn off track pad when typing", or the like. I'm being deliberately vague because each track pad manufacturer seems to implement things differently.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Go to start then,Control Panel click on the mouse icon.Then click on the Pointer Options tabs make sure you have a check mark in;Hide pointer while typing.Then of course click on apply then ok close the Control Panel.This should cure your problem.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

susanmbaar (2011-02-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you much for your suggestions. There is now a checkmark in the hide pointer box of the mouse control options window. Here's hoping.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I do have hide pointer while you type checked but that doesn't stop the random movement. What I do is to disable the trackpad through the laptop's function keys and re-enable it once I'm done.