Lounger
    Thanks

Database Recommendation

I have a pastor friend who has a need of database software that will be administered by an individual who is not particularly tech savvy. Therefore the first requirement is simplicity.

He wishes to use the database to generate mailing labels, create a church directory, and to have the ability to cluster individuals by shared ministries they be be involved in.

The church is currently using a proprietary database developed specifically for churches (name unknown). It would appear that the vendor is no offering tech support.

I've had little need to rely on databases over the years. I could create a short list of database apps for him but am unable to offer any useful advice about ease of use, etc. I'd be appreciate recommendations for proprietary and/or open source databases with which you had actual experience.

Thanks in advance for your help.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There is no database that will do exactly what you want, but you can probably adapt another product to do what you want. Unfortunately this will require quite a bit of work in testing and may be beyond your friend.
    I would start with one of the many open source CRM databases (Customer Relationship Management). A quick search for open source CRM will provide lots of options.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ronnie

MS Access has several free templates available that would probably be very easy to use for the above requirements. You might even be able to find an Access expert willing to donate some time to tweak a template to do exactly what the pastor needs.

There is also some freeware called OpenOffice (OpenOffice.org), but I don't know if it has any template database files.
    Regards,
    Bill Mosca, Microsoft Access MVP
    That'll do IT http://thatlldoit.com

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for recommendations. I appreciate your input.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MS Access is your best choice.
    Having said that, on close re-reading of your requirements - "generate mailing labels, create a church directory, and to have the ability to cluster individuals by shared ministries they be be involved in" - all this is very much within the scope of Word.

Word has a powerful Mail Merge facility. Experiment with its Wizard, which comes with templates for exactly such a need including Name, Address, Phone no and so on, and can be very easily added to. You can edit the "database" of recipients as a Word document, and the letter templates as other Word documents.
    Either use window-face envelopes, or print labels using another template.
    Anyone can easily create new outputs by copying an existing template and editing in Word.

Edit: If you need help with the Mail merge, I'm sure folk on this forum will oblige.
    Last edited by DavidPierson; 2011-02-25 at 20:11.