Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Locating a Scheduled Task

I haven't used the scheduler much at all; I was trying to set up a task to run virus scans.

After I did so, I realized I needed to make changes -- but I cannot find the task I put in there!

Is there any type of way to run a search or ... to find a task once it is input?\

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Control Panel -> Administrative Tasks -> Task Scheduler, and expand out the Task Scheduler Library on the left-hand side. It will be in there.

Of course you could create a new 'folder' under Task Scheduler Library called (yerrch) "My Scheduled Tasks" (or something less twee)and put them all in there?!
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Thanks
    OK, I'll give it a look.

Thanks.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Batcher, when I went to look, I realized (after getting the error *again*, that I cannot find it if the error is that it doesn't exist!

But then if I try to recreate it I get an error that a file or folder with that name already exists!

So how do I clear the error?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2011-02-19 at 03:49.

Thanks
    A bypass would be to give it a slightly different name - e.g. call it "Virus Try".

The Scheduled Tasks/Jobs are located in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks and below, so look there.
    (I should say that I have never messed with this/these directories, ever since NT 3.51, so I would advise care!)
    Last edited by BATcher; 2011-02-19 at 10:16.
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Thanks
    Get Autoruns . It lists scheduled tasks as well as startup items.

Jerry

Thanks
    OK guys, thanks. I'll give both avenues a shot.

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks
    OK, Autoruns shows nothing, and \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TASKS has a folder tree, Microsoft\Windows with three folders in it -- PLA, RemoteApp and Desktop Connections Update, and SyncCenter -- but they are empty.

So I get the error every time I go to the scheduler that the task doesn't exist, but the name has to exist in order to trigger the error; then, if I try to fake a task to cut off the error, it says that that name already exists!

I tried a search through the tree, both for a folder with the name, and for a file that contains that name somewhere in its text or body or...

But nothing.

But still the error.

There has to be another piece here somewhere, I just cannot find it.

Chuck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CWBillow, this may not help you, but it's just an observation I made last night. On another thread, there were instructions for setting up a task for MSE frequent updates, which I followed. After setting up the task, I wanted to review it, but it would not show up on TaskScheduler. However, there was a new folder for 'Microsoft Antimalware' created by my actions. It was apparently empty. I had scheduled the first run of it for this morning at 4:15. Signed on at 10, or so, and the task then ran. Now, it shows in the scheduler. So, it may be that your first run of the task has not yet happened, and that's why you can't find it. Possible? (I have no idea how to find a new task for editing prior to the first run time.)

Thanks
    CWS;

I had thought of something similar to that causing the issue as well. I even as you did, found a Microsoft Antimalware folder with nothing apparently in it. Yet I cannot seem to get past the error. I cannot run a task that does not exist, and I cannot create a task that already exists! Makes no sense at all, does it? But that is exactly where it sits as of this moment.

Chuck

Thanks

I Fixed It -- Brute Force!

Once I had found that the error was attached to the Microsoft Antimalware folder in the Task Scheduler, I had an idea:

First I tried deleting the task folder. That wouldn't work because the Scheduler thought that the folder wasn't empty.

Then I tried creating the task. That didn't work because the Scheduler thought it was already there.

Then I found on another site that someone had had the same issue, and that the Microsoft Antimalware folder was created by Microsoft Essentials on installation.

SO

I uninstalled MSE.

I went to the registry and, after backing it up, found and deleted all the references and keys related to or mentioning Microsoft Antimalware.

Then I rebooted

Then I reinstalled MSE

Then I went back to the Task Scheduler

Problem all gone!

Hope that helps any other poor souls out there.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good solution, Chuck! I've been reading so much since my first post, I am no longer sure if my new task did not show up, or if I was too ignorant to find it in the very top of the directory, which is where I eventually found it. I thought I'd inadvertently created the empty Microsoft Antimalware folder. So, that's where I wanted my task to be, but couldn't move it, so I exported it to the desktop, and then imported it to that folder. So, now I had two of the same task, in different folders, and deleted the one in the top directory. This makes me wonder if you tried 'create task' in another folder, or were you always using the same folder, containing the magical-invisible task?

Thanks
    This is one of the shortcomings of Microsoft Security Essentials.

Most antivirus programs allow you to schedule a scan for a time when the computer is not in use, then create a report, and shut down the computer. When you reboot or start up, the antivirus program presents you with the report and you can see if anything needs your attention.

But MSE does not have the ability to schedule from within the program. As folks here have found out, this makes it necessary to identify which Executable to run, and create a scheduled task for that Executable, followed by an instruction to shut down the computer. This can be done, as posted in this threaad, but the process is error-prone.

The real solution would be for Microsoft to add the Scheduled Scan feature to MSE. It wouldn't be hard to do, but I am not holding my breath waiting for Microsoft to decide that enough users want this feature to include it in a future MSE release. Here's one vote for MS to include Scheduled Scanning in a future release of MSE. That, and Reports and Logs which can be reviewed at a later time.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    You can set up a scheduled scan under the latest MSE by clicking the settings tab and the scheduled scan.
    Jerry

Thanks
    I wasn't totally sure of what I did to cause the problem, only that it was certainly there!

Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast