New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Problem with a URL in IE8

Everytime I type walmart.com into the address of IE8, it goes to mobile.walmart.com rather than the full Walmart website. It does not do this in Firefox nor does it do it on IE8 on my laptop. I cannot find where mobile.walmart.com is stored on my PC in order to remove it. It is not in my favorites that I can find nor is it in my registry. Does anyone know where I can find and remove this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hello Branny,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Does mobile.walmart.com show up while you are typing walmart.com?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It shows up after I type walmart.com and press enter. Only does it in IE8 on ths computer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Any difference with settings regarding your other IE installs? Different default search engines, toolbars?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Same version of IE8 on both machines. Both running Webroot Internet Security Essentials. This machine also has Yahoo toolbar running, however, if I uncheck it, there is no difference. Both have Bing as the default search engine which really isn't my choice. I compared all settings on this machine to the laptop and they are the same. Typing walmart.com takes you to http://mobile.walmart.com. Clicking on Walmart.com Full Site at the bottom brings up the url http://www.walmart.com/index.gsp but only on this machine and only on IE8. I looked on the Yahoo toolbar to see if it was there somewhere, but so far have not seen it. It is the strangest thing I've seen. I'm tempted to install IE9 and see if it makes a difference. BTW, both machines are running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Thanks
    I would do 2 things. Uninstall the Yahoo toolbar either with Revo Uninstaller or through the Windows uninstaller. Clear you temp internet files. Sometimes old pages get hung up in the cache. When you clear the temp internet files also clear the section the Auto Completes your typing. Personally I have IE set to clear my history when I close the browser. I also use CCleaner and Privacy Mantra to help elliminate all temp files on my PC. This helps to erase my browsing tracks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Your browser may be sending an unusual "useragent" string to the server. If you view this page, you can see what Walmart is seeing, assuming your browser doesn't treat Walmart specially.

http://dev.jeffersonscher.com/jstest.html

For comparison, I get:

Upper list:
    navigator.userAgent = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Lower frame:
    Browser "User Agent" string: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-02-20 at 16:43. Reason: Comparison

Thanks
    Just type in the name of the such as;walmart in the url bar.Then put your finger on the Ctrl then hit enter.This will automatically put the www. & .com in for you.This will also work in any other broswer you open.Happy surfing.
    Last edited by chowur; 2011-02-20 at 19:05. Reason: further explaintion.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I unsintalled the Yahoo toolbar with Windows uninstaller. I also always have IE clear the cache whenever I close the browser. It is still going to the mobile version of Walmart rather than full site version. Thanks for your suggstions. I'll check into Privacy Mantra although I believe Webroot does something similar.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried your suggestion, chowur, but it still goes to the mobile Walmart site. Thanks for your suggestion, though. I learned something new.
    Last edited by Branny; 2011-02-23 at 22:53.

Thanks
    My Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7 Home Premium is set up a bit differently. I have Google as my default Search Provider, and as my Home Page. this means that when I type Walmart into the url bar, it goes to Google Search, gives the Oops page, and suggests redirecting to the Walmart.com regular Home Page. So, in two clicks, it takes me there, and never to the mobile Walmart page. Maybe Bing is the problem here.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    My Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7 Home Premium is set up a bit differently. I have Google as my default Search Provider, and as my Home Page. this means that when I type Walmart into the url bar, it goes to Google Search, gives the Oops page, and suggests redirecting to the Walmart.com regular Home Page. So, in two clicks, it takes me there, and never to the mobile Walmart page. Maybe Bing is the problem here.
    I am using IE 9 RC and have MSN toolbar and Bing as my default search. I typed Walmart into the address bar and then crtl + enter and it went to the main walmart page, so I doubt that bing is the problem.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for your suggestions. I think the problem may be in my profile. Today when I tried to log on, I got the following message: "The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." While searching for a solution, I logged on to the safe mode command prompt and reset the admin password. When I booted up in safe mode, it would not let met log on under the new admin password, but I was able to logon with my user password. It said to go to
    1. Type regedit
    2. Once the registry editor opens up, look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    3. In the left pane, find the one that starts with S-1-5..... and ends with .BAK; if you don't find one, skip to step 15
    4. Right click it and click Rename, then change the .BAK to .BK
    5. Right click the one with the same numbering but without the .BAK and add .BAK add the end
    6. Right click the one that you renamed to .BK and clickRename, delete the .BK
    7. Eventually, you have switched the .BAK from the end of the second entry to the first. That should probably fix your problem.

I didn't read the instructions closely and didn't do numbers 5 and 6. When I booted up into Windows, it configured my desktop. In other words, I had a new desktop. When I opened Windows Live Mail everything had to be reconfigured. Also, by Virtual XP had to be set up again. What I did notice was while under this new setup, walmart.com worked correctly. Also, the contacts in Windows Live Mail also opened correctly which it hasn't done before on this PC. When I went back and reread the instructions above, I back and did numbers 5 and 6. So everything was back to the way it was before.

So I believe the problems I have been having are related to my Windows 7 profile but I don't want to take the time at the moment to have to reload the XP Mode software and do all the updates.