New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Failure Configuring Windows Updates

I have Win7 64 bit on a PC that's about 4 months old. I had automatic Windows update enabled but I choose when and if to install Windows updates. When I run the install process it gets to the restart and reboots but it tells me that there has been a problem with the updates and tells me it's "Reverting Changes' then reboots.
    I checked out which updates failed and downloaded each file individually from MS, installed them one by one and it looked as thought they had taken until I rebooted then I got the same failure/reverting changes message. I guess that somehow the Update procedure has been damaged somehow but i'm unsure of how to fix it.
    I would appreciate guidance if anyone has had this issue and managed to solve it.

Thanks
    Kozy52, Welcome to the new Lounge.

If you have an Image from prior to the problem starting, restore from that Image. You could also try System Restore (Control Panel, Backup and restore) and choose a restore point before the ptoblem began. You could also do a repair install of Windows. Many sites will show the steps. Here is one such from Windows Seven Forums.

Once you have all working again read about Imaging in the Security and Backup forum. This is a lifesaver.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Kozy52 (2011-02-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your prompt response, I will start with System Restore and if that fails will try the repair. Thanks for the link, it will make my task so much easier.
    I will get back to you and let you know how it all goes.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Hope it helps. Take a good look at Imaging once things are back. With an up to date image of your OS, if disaster strikes, you can be back up where you were when the bad stuff happened in about 10 minutes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Kozy52 (2011-02-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been meaning to do that for some time know but i will most definitely get into the habit of creating an image on a regular basis. I will have to put another drive in to be able to store the image, fortunately drives are getting cheaper and cheaper.
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Hi Kozy, and I also welcome you to the Lounge.

There are several possibilities for repair of Windows Updates. Some have been helpful to other Loungers, and in some situations, the only viable alternative is to restore an image backup or do a repair install, just as Ted has advised.

If you would like to try a couple of things that have helped some, check out this Windows SevenForums tutorial on resetting Windows Update.

Here is a Windows Club link to the Fix Windows Update Utility.

Here is a MS Support Article on resetting Windows Update components. The Windows Update service must be started and running as well as the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).

Because there can be a number of issues negatively affecting Windows Updates, your mileage may vary, but the Windows SevenForums tutorial would take only a little time to investigate.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

Kozy52 (2011-02-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Win7 64bit MS update problems

Thanks for all your help and suggestions without them I don't believe I would have had the faith in the fact that it could be done, cheers guys.
    What I eventually found out via following numerous suggestions from the Microsoft help links was that the .net service pack had become corrupted some how so I had to remove the .net updates, allow windows to download and reinstall them correctly, once that had been sorted out it was then possible to get Win update do download and install Win7 Service pack one. Everything just fell into place after that and it's working as it should.
    It's bloody great to have a win now and then without having to format reinstall. I've made an image file and created the "System Restore Disk" so at this stage all is well.
    Thanks again.
    Kozy

Thanks
    We are glad you got things sorted out, Kozy. Thanks for posting back your solution!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See the information in this thread for help with using windows 7's windows Update repair function.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...t-provides-fix
    Last edited by High Sierra; 2011-02-27 at 09:33. Reason: referring to Lounge post instead of original link.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozy52 View Post
    Thanks for your prompt response, I will start with System Restore and if that fails will try the repair. Thanks for the link, it will make my task so much easier.
    I will get back to you and let you know how it all goes.
    Cheers
    I installed SP1 recently and found it had deleted all my restore points. I don't know if this was peculiar to my system but something to be aware of if anyone else is thinking of installing it. Do as the advisors are always saying and make a backup first just in case.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

No restore ?

Jefp, hello.

>>>I installed SP1 recently and found it had deleted all my restore points. I don't know if this was peculiar to my system but something to be aware of if anyone else is thinking of installing it. Do as the advisors are always saying and make a backup first just in case.

I found this out too, and it was a tough one to reset, I first had to do one restore point before I could set the Restore to ON for the C:\. I just checked and my point is still there but a clone... ( image ) has restore beat all over. As in your install of SP1, all points were gonezoed. With a clone, this is narry a problem.

Have a great day. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jefp1938 View Post
    I installed SP1 recently and found it had deleted all my restore points. I don't know if this was peculiar to my system but something to be aware of if anyone else is thinking of installing it. Do as the advisors are always saying and make a backup first just in case.
    This is typical behavior when installing a service pack. Restore points before the one taken as part of the service pack installation are of unknown value.

Joe