New Lounger
    Thanks

Ideas for installing AV & Firewall for mom's PC

My mom is getting a new PC. I want to install AV / Firewall protection and strip the bloated Norton ware that came pre-installed.
    I normally support her using a remote connection.
    But how do I install new AV/firewall without the risk? Normally I do a disconnect while performing that (physical or logical) but if I do that I won't have remote control of her machine.

I'm sure there is an obvious answer, I'm simply clueless to what it is.
    Since this is the group I trust most - I figure someone here can steer me in the right direction.
    Thanks
    Susan

Thanks
    I assume your trying to accomplish this by remote control?

Before actually uninstalling the NIS product, shut down all it's services and running processes. You can then enable the
    Windows firewall (assuming Vista or W7). You will have a short time without a firewall, this may be an acceptable risk.

Her router, if any, may be a factor in mitigating the threat of a temporary shutdown and start up of the software firewall.
    I would also ensure there is no other user or activity going on in the PC at the time;
    Have her not touch the computer and close all applications, especially browsers & email client etc.
    Consider a general cleanup or decapification of all but the NIS prior to starting, and get all of your Windows updates completed early on as well.

Going a bit further...
    Once you have your choice of AV/Firewall safely installed and if her computer supports a large hard drive, consider a partition or two.
    An image can be done to one of the partitions as well as a transfer of the "My Documents" folders, and even the "desktop" folder to the more secure location on a partition.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-02-21 at 10:33.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Susan,

I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials {MSE}, a free download from Microsoft, and the Windows Firewall. For remote control check out Team Viewer also free and no problems with the AV/FW combo mentioned above.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by suzeabelle View Post
    My mom is getting a new PC. I want to install AV / Firewall protection and strip the bloated Norton ware that came pre-installed.
    If Norton is pre-paid for a year, why not let her use it? For someone who is not sophisticated, it's actually a pretty good choice. If it's only a 60-day trial that you have no intention of purchasing, then probably better to change it out early.

Thanks
    I also use MSE and the Windows 7 Firewall. As Clint mentions, in the time it takes to shut down Norton and install MSE you should be reasonably safe as long as no surfing is done and no email is opened, etc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for some great ideas

Thanks everyone.

Here was my plan:
    1. Connect with Team Viewer- clean and decrapify everything
    2. Make restore disk
    3. Then Stop installed anti-virus

Do I have to delete/uninstall this before installing new AV/Firewall and yes I was going to use the MSE.

I was concerned about her being unprotected while the new software is installing- I've heard that being "naked" on the net can turn you into a bot machine pretty quickly. The good news is that she wouldn't have anything to lose cause we won't have done anything yet.

Thanks
    Susan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I assume your trying to accomplish this by remote control?

Yes - I use TeamViewer.
    Going a bit further...
    Once you have your choice of AV/Firewall safely installed and if her computer supports a large hard drive, consider a partition or two.
    An image can be done to one of the partitions as well as a transfer of the "My Documents" folders, and even the "desktop" folder to the more secure location on a partition.
    Clint, curious to hear more about extra partition in Win7. When I got my new machine last May I did some reading and it didn't seem that keeping the "My docs" on a new partition had the same compelling reasons as it did in XP. Of course, I haven't yet had to do a re-installation, so maybe I should rethink where I've got my data.

If there is a big thread on this somewhere I'm happy to read what has already been written.
    Love this forum, but my searching doesn't usually yield what I'm after.
    All best
    Susan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If Norton is a free year subscription you should keep it. My fairly new computer came with it and it works extremely well. Norton is a very highly anti virus. Yes, Norton of old was very bloated, that was a well known issue. But they have addressed that issue in the last few years and it is no longer true. Norton being bloated today is a myth. That said, if your going to switch, MSE is the way to go. When my subscription runs out I will use MSE. The built in Win7 firewall also works very well.

Thanks
    I've moved away from partitions as of late in favor of more internal drives. But the concept is basically the same; Keep the operating system lean, separate out as much personal data as possible from the os, and have more options in terms of backup solutions.
    More options imo for backup and data preservation, probably a throwback from the days of the monthly Windows 98 crashes...or the bi-anual catastrophic Windows XP crashes.

Moving things like email storage folders, Favorites folder, My Documents, and even the Desktop folder helps me save space on the primary boot drive while providing a means of separation of personal data from the operating system. These are just small scale examples of partition or extra internal drive usages.

It just provides more options in terms of data preservation. It's also a matter of personal preferences too.

I also do operating system drive images and they tend to be a bit smaller in size, which means I can stuff more of them on an extra internal drive while backing the real important stuff on other internal drives, thumb drives, DVDs, and even external drives.

People tend to see the operating system as important, but it's really not. Although it's nicer to drive a porche than a beater, It's still only a means to an end.
    The data that you generate is, hopefully, more important.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-03-02 at 13:56.