Thread: Posting links

Thanks

Posting links

Me thinks I am missing something here. When I post a link all I can do now is post the link. I know there must be something that I am missing to make the link read something else Example www.abc.com read ABC News?
    Where did this go?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    In the quick reply box, type the link title (ABC News in your example). Highlight the title and click on the insert link icon (6th icon from the left) and type or paste the URL in the box that pops up and click OK.

Jerry

Thanks
    If you don't wish to type... you can capture the URL and page title together -- the page title is what appears on the browser's window title bar when that page is active -- using a bookmarklet, also known as a favelet.

Example of code generated by the bookmarklet:

[url=http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/136041-Posting-Links]Posting Links | Windows Secrets Lounge[/url]

which gives you:

Posting Links | Windows Secrets Lounge

You can edit the descriptive text to your liking before submitting your post (some page titles are not very descriptive).

To create your bookmarklet/favelet:

(1) Internet Explorer

Use Add Favorite to create a new favorite for the current page, and give it a name like BBCode Link Maker. Copy the code below to the clipboard. Then right-click the favorite, choose Properties, delete the URL and paste in the code. IE will inform you that it could have problems with javascript but just ignore that.

(2) Firefox

Copy the code below to the clipboard. Then right-click the destination for your bookmark (e.g., Bookmark toolbar, menu, sidebar) and choose New Bookmark. Use a name like BBCode Link Maker and paste the code into the Location space.

(3) Other browsers... sorry, none handy to test at the moment.

Code:
    javascript:var pgtitle=document.title; var pgadd=location.href; var strLink="[url="+pgadd+"]"+pgtitle+"[/url]"; prompt("BBCode Link To This Page - \nPress Ctrl+c or right-click to copy\n ",strLink); void 0;
    Note: I recommend using "Preview Post" to confirm that the link is formatted correctly.

Thanks
    Thanks Guys,
    I Think that I will use Jerrys way for now
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Jerry's right. That's how I post all my links, being careful to highlight my text, Bold it, and make it Blue or some other indicator color. Copy/paste right form the target url bar seems to be the quickest way to transfer the actual target url into the Link box. That box really does not need to show Http:// by default, but that's the way the Lounge works now.
    -- Bob Primak --