Thanks

Replacing keyboard

I have a new Lenovo Win 7 desktop that I love ----- all except the keyboard, and it is the most ticky-tacky thing I have used yet.

Right now I am using an old Dell keyboard without any fn or other special function keys and its fine, BUT if I buy a new Win 7 keyboard, the fn and function keys are going to be ....... confused!! I have read many posts here and in other venues about the lack of uniformity from one keyboard mfg to another.... and even within the same brand. Wish they'd get on board with the functions.

We own an HP pavilion laptop without number keypad and another HP pavilion laptop with number keypad and the function keys are totally different.

So I guess my question if it is one, if I buy a new keyboard, am I screwed on function keys?

BJ

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The standard function keys are F1 to F12. After that all bets are off.
    What function keys do you want on your new keyboard?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Midnight,

I purchased a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo for use with my Dell laptop. It works just fine including the special keys on the Logitech for email, web, speaker volume/mute, etc. If I reach up and use the builtin laptop keyboard no problems... YMMV.

P.S. this was a plug and play operation no software to install.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Since you have a desktop Pc, any good replacement keyboard should work. I particular like wireless models. For example my MS desktop 8000 uses a bluetooth to USB adapter to connect to the mouse and keyboard. You can find many different models that both have and have not a separate numbers keypad. This was the biggest thing I had to get used to with our laptops and with the 8000 desktop keyboard, no numbers pad. But you get used to this. Even with those models requiring software drivers, most manufacturers will provide drivers for Win 7, especially on new devices.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    I have a new Lenovo Win 7 desktop that I love ----- all except the keyboard, and it is the most ticky-tacky thing I have used yet.
    midnight,
    Hello... I don't know what "ticky-tacky" means.. But i use a Logitech wireless keyboard K320/B550 (full size) and a MX performance mouse. You can as "RG" has stated (plug and play) or install the logitech software ... I like the features that are available with the software. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The standard function keys are F1 to F12. After that all bets are off.
    cheers, Paul
    Its the 'After that"...... part, and thinking further on the subject, I realize that I don't use the special function keys all that much on my laptop anyway.

BJ
    Last edited by midnight; 2011-02-22 at 19:30.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    Even with those models requiring software drivers, most manufacturers will provide drivers for Win 7, especially on new devices.
    That's a help! I'll look at the available keyboards again this weekend. I do use the separate number keypad for accounting work, which is why my laptop has this, and husband's does not.

Thanks.

BJ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    ... I don't know what "ticky-tacky" means..
    Chuckle! ticky-tacky..... well, flimsy, noisy when typing, plastic-y...... guess its a Texas term!!

I see several of you like the Logitech keyboard so I'll have a look. Thanks.

BJ