Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing identity on computer

I recently had the motherboard, power supply and hard drive replaced on my Dell Inspiron Desktop computer. When the new system initially booted I entered the name "Patricia" instead of "Pat". Now my C drive, under "users" lists "Patricia" and my network computers can't access it. I have been able to change it on the system but not in the C drive under users. Can someone please advise me of how I can do this.

Thank you
    Pat

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have a recent backup image?
    If yes, try this....
    Right click My Computer>Manage>System Tools>Local Users and Groups>Users>
    then Right click on Patricia>Rename>Pat

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When the Dell techician was dealing with me he said he did a backup. There is an icon on my desktop named "I580-A07". I didn't see it before and I restored my data from one hard drive to another. I haven't used this icon because I don't know what it is. Could that be the backup image you are referring to. I didn't go back to Dell with my question yet. I thought I'd try Woody first.

Thanks,
    Pat

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Additional thoughts about the network ....
    Can your computer see and access the other networked computers?
    Is your computer part of the same group/domain as the other computers?
    What is the name of your computer on the network?
    Which versions of Windows are being used?
    Last edited by tfspry; 2011-02-21 at 21:40.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We are only dealing with two computers, my desktop and my laptop right now. They are part of the same homegroup and domain.
    When signed on as "Patricia" at the desktop it recognizes both computers in the home group and I can access both. As "Pat" only the laptop shows up in the homegroup and I can't access anything. The error message says I do not have permissions. I hope that I made this clear enough for you. It is very confusing for me.The names of the computers showing in the home group are Pat - Lap (PATSPURPLEPC) and Pat (PATSDESKTOP). The operating system is Windows 7 Home Edition.

Thanks,
    Last edited by pcolombi; 2011-02-21 at 21:54. Reason: added operating system info

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Pat,

Just a guess as I am not using Homegroups but have you told the new userid "Pat" to join the Homegroup?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Pat" was the original user and was already on Homegroup. That is what I am trying to get back to so I can eliminate "Patricia" altogether throughout the system.

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For the networking issues, you may find some useful tips and links in this thread....
    Homegroup setup

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not trying to setup a homegroup. I'm trying to get "Patricia" off the computer entirely. O pn;uwant "Pat" as a user.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I haven't gotten a solution to my issue of the wrong identity on my computer, I am thinking about backing up my date to an external drive and reformatting the drive. Would that give me the opportunity to change the identity? Does anyone think this is a good idea or does anyone have a better one? I have to try to get back to just one user on this computer.

Thanks again
    Pat

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcolombi View Post
    Since I haven't gotten a solution to my issue of the wrong identity on my computer, I am thinking about backing up my date to an external drive and reformatting the drive. Would that give me the opportunity to change the identity? Does anyone think this is a good idea or does anyone have a better one? I have to try to get back to just one user on this computer.

Thanks again
    Pat
    Hi Pat - Consider making a backup image of your system to the external drive. Then, try post #2 of this thread. If that works, you are good to go, if not, if you make a good backup image, there should be no need for reformating and reinstalls of Windows and all programs and all data.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcolombi View Post
    We are only dealing with two computers, my desktop and my laptop right now. They are part of the same homegroup and domain.
    When signed on as "Patricia" at the desktop it recognizes both computers in the home group and I can access both. As "Pat" only the laptop shows up in the homegroup and I can't access anything. The error message says I do not have permissions. I hope that I made this clear enough for you. It is very confusing for me.The names of the computers showing in the home group are Pat - Lap (PATSPURPLEPC) and Pat (PATSDESKTOP). The operating system is Windows 7 Home Edition.

Thanks,
    Did you create a new user named "Pat"? If yes, what I would try is to delete "Pat" from the Homegroup, then re-join the new "Pat" to the Homegroup.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff.H View Post
    Did you create a new user named "Pat"? If yes, what I would try is to delete "Pat" from the Homegroup, then re-join the new "Pat" to the Homegroup.
    I have had problems on prior versions of Windows getting the system to copy a name change throughout. What I have done (the brute force method) is to create a new user account with the name I want, transfer my user files to that name, and then delete the old user account. However, that may or may not fix your problem -- I have found the Homegroup to be incredibly glitchy -- and unnecessary. I just add network folders to my document libraries and never use the Homegroup.

New Lounger
    Thanks

new user

try setting up a new user name in controlpanel/users...........

make it pat and make it an administrator acct.

see if the network 'likes' that one.....

oh by the way you havent got some sort of mac address filtering ? cause with a new motherboard your mac addy will be different

Thanks
    Windows 7 can be really picky about user data files' perms, and sometimes causes locks on files from one account to another, but will reset perms if you copy them to the main part of the c: drive (root of c and then back into a new account from there.

So, I would suggest the following:

Create a directory off the root of c: called patsbackup or something you would recognize.

Copy all of Pat's files (currently in Patricia account that's been renamed Pat, I would imagine) to that directory.

Rename the Patricia account that you renamed to Pat (but the folders don't correspond), to some other name Patricia2 or something. Doesn't really matter as long as it's not Pat.

Now, create a new account: Pat

This new one will have the right folder names under Users for Pat.

Move your files from the backup folder on root of c:/patsbackup (or whatever you named it) into the new Pat account.

Now make sure the desktop's computer name is PATSDESKTOP, if it is not already PATSDESKTOP. Steps to do that here.

Reboot the computer, and then "View or print the homegroup password" for your Homegroup from your laptop and enter the Homegroup password on the Desktop if you haven't done that yet.

Hope that helps.
    Fran Parker, AKA Bambi, Linux User #183283, Ubuntu User #11114, CNI Radio
    BambisMusings, Tumblr, Twitter, Malware Complaints - Stand Up and be Counted!
    I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which grant[s] a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.
    --James Madison, 1794

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast