New Lounger
    Thanks

window maximizes

A "feature" new to Win7 is that when you drag a window to the top of your screen it automatically maximizes. That is rarely the behavior that I want.

The maximized window can be restored to its original size by double clicking the title bar but that returns the window to its original location. On my relatively small screen it means that I have to lost some of my screen size to this behavior. Is there some way to turn that automatic maximization off?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    B,

Welcome to the lounge.

Check this page.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I disabled that annoyance as soon as I got Win7. See this link.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-in-windows-7/

Thanks

Snap

Maybe mine is different (both Home Premium and Ultimate), but I don't have a problem with maximizing a window when I don't intend to if I don't let the cursor touch the top of the screen.

I can move the title bar to the top of the screen (grab it with the cursor about the middle of the title bar), let it go, then drag the bottom (or the bottom corner if I also want to widen it at the same time) to the bottom of the screen, and the window stays that size.

The next time I open that app, the window resizes to the last size I used for it. I can snap if I want, or not. It all depends on where the cursor is.

Give it a try; grab the title bar and move the window slowly to the top of the screen, but don't let it go. If you have Aero turned on, you'll see the outline of the window at the edges of the screen (sort of like a peek view) when the cursor touches the top of the screen. If you let go there, the window will maximize. If you drag it back down just a schoshe, the outline will disappear, you can let the window go, it will retain its original size.

If you get the top of the title bar above the top of the screen (without letting the cursor touch the top of the screen), when you let it go it will drop back to where it just touches the top of the screen.

If I want to do the side-by-side, I grab the window title bar and throw it to whichever side I want it to snap to, open the other window and throw it to the other side. And I do use that feature quite often.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hot key ?

bbearren, hello.

>>>If I want to do the side-by-side, I grab the window title bar and throw it to whichever side I want it to snap to, open the other window and throw it to the other side. And I do use that feature quite often.

I use that quite often too but I go to the taskbar, right click on it, a menu pops up, I select: Show side by side. Done. My question is, can you tell me if there is some hotkey combination that will do this without having to use the mouse ???

A great day to you. JP.

Thanks
    I'm not much for keyboard shortcuts. I don't know that there is one for the snap feature.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to the several Loungers who responded to my question. I used the Control Panel approached suggested by RetiredGeek but I am sure all of the suggestions were valid. Thank you again!

Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    use that quite often too but I go to the taskbar, right click on it, a menu pops up, I select: Show side by side. Done. My question is, can you tell me if there is some hotkey combination that will do this without having to use the mouse ???
    Windows key + Left/Right Arrow will to the side-by-side snap.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cafed00d View Post
    Windows key + Left/Right Arrow will to the side-by-side snap.
    One must still give focus to the unsnapped window somehow in order to snap it in the opposite direction. I don't see a lot of "short" in that shortcut as compared to two mouse clicks.

As I said, I'm not much for keyboard shortcuts, but I'm happy that they're there for the folks who do like to use them.

Unleash Windows