New Lounger
    Thanks

strange "My Documents" behavior

For past week or so, first time I try to rename or move a file in My Documents each day, the file (whichever one it is, new or old) quits working, and I have to bring up Windows Task Manager to end task. Instantly, all icons on desktop disappear as well as icons in taskbar. After several seconds, everything reappears (although taskbar icons of open files rearrange). Then I can reopen My Documents and do whatever I want with that file plus all others. Until I shut down the computer for the night (or have to reboot for some reason), then upon restarting the computer, same problem. Doesn't matter whether it's early in the morning or whether the computer has been on all day. Probably some security update, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. After Googling, I found an old message on Microsoft KB, but it said to replace with a new security update - but back in 2006, so I don't want to try that. I am using a laptop, XP-pro SP3; 3 gig RAM, 80 GB free space. It is more an annoyance than a real problem, but I'd like to fix it before it becomes a serious problem

Thanks
    Hi danakcnw, and welcome to the Lounge!

There is a possibility that your user profile is damaged. Try logging into Windows as another user. Set up another Administrator user account if you need to do so, and log in to see if the Explorer problem persists.

If the problem is not your user account, then run a full malware scan with your AV/AM program or suite to see if it detects any infections. You might also download, install and run Malwarebytes Anti-malware free edition as an on demand second opinion scanner.

If you come up with a clean system, then your Explorer or Windows Shell may simply be corrupted. So try running the System File Checker. (Click on Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt - type in the Command Prompt "sfc /scannow" without the quote marks and be sure to add a space between 'sfc' and the '/' mark.) You must have a Windows XP Pro SP3 install CD if the procedure finds any corruption in any system files. If you have only an XP Pro SP2 CD, then you will need to 'slipstream' SP3 to your XP Pro SP2 install CD. You can use the tutorial on Supersite for Windows to build your slipstreamed install CD. Hopefully after running the System File Checker, it will replace any corrupt files to solve your problems.

If the SFC does not correct the problems, then you may need to do a repair install of Windows XP. A repair install will preserve your settings, applications and your user files. You will need to use a Windows XP Pro SP3 install CD for a repair install, so it is good to use the slipstream process. It is best to make a backup of your data before doing a repair install. An image backup would be even better, and after your system is repaired, doing a fresh image backup can save you a lot of time in a situation like this. You can see several threads about image backups including tutorials in the Backups and Security Forum. Directions for doing a repair install can be found here. (Note that the author does not mention slipstreaming SP3 because it had not been released when he wrote the instructions. Everything else still applies.)

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-02-22 at 10:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the information and suggestions, Deadeye81. I run a full system scan daily, so do not believe it is a malware problem. Unfortunately, I do not have any XP CDs - the laptop came with XPpro installed, and I have done the updates online. (I'm also not sure I'm technically savvy enough to follow through with some of what you suggest. I do an Acronis image every week, but have never had to restore anything from that; so another scary step if I need to try that.) In the meantime, I will do a System File Checker as you suggest, so at least I will have those results. The laptop is a Lenovo T61, which has its own ThinkVantage disk diagnostics - I had not thought to run that, so can do that also. This may take me awhile, as I am up against several deadlines next couple weeks, but will report back if I find the problem or if it resolves. Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wouldn't you know! - Today it's working OK - It figures; kinda like the funny car sound stopping as soon as you drive into the repair shop. I swear it occurred every day for over a week - then today, it's working fine. I did run CCleaner on Sunday, but the same problem occurred yesterday. Everything else I've done between yesterday morning and today has been the usual daily routine. Will keep my fingers crossed that whatever it was is fixed. If it recurs, I will then try some of your suggestions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Spoke too soon. After performing several tasks in the My Docs folder using Windows Explorer today with no problems, it suddenly froze again when I tried to delete a file - now it's working OK. So guess I will have to go through the system checking - will post if I learn anything that sticks.