Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Apply Office 2007 SP2 Patch?

I have just loaded my copy of Office 2007 Home and Student into a new PC. The SP2 download is recommended. Do I install it? Does it affect what other patches I apply? I've been holding off on 22 recommended ones (Windows and Office 2007 ones) due to Woody's MS-DEFCON level 2 which says not to apply unless needed.

Suggestions appreciated. Read the KB on the SP2 but didn't find it helpful.

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I had SP-2 installed for quite a while before migrating most machines to Office 2010. I'd install it and all the subsequent patches to both Office & Windows. If you are concerned back up the PC and then apply the Office patches first. After you are convinced the machine is running OK apply just a couple of the Windows patches at a time.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe, for your quick and helpful reply! I'll do the SP-2 first; then, the remaining Office patches and, finally, the Windows ones, a couple at a time - after backing up.

Appreciate the step-by-step: always nervous when there are so many and, of course, all the SP-2 patches are always so huge.

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. If you do a complete backup before you start you've got a good fallback position if the worst happens. I always make a complete backup when I get ready to install any service pack either Office or Windows.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Progress Update

Just to update you, Joe: all patches now duly applied (after back ups) and everything seems to be working fine. Again, my thanks!

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad you've got it all updated and working. Thanks for posting back.

Joe