2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows backup keeps failing-Access denied

I thought that I'd been backing up each month as I set an automatic backup task with the backup software provided with my Acer Aspire X3200 PC running Vista Home Premium but it suddenly prompted me to run a backup and when I did, then gave me error 0x80070005 - access denied. I'm trying to backup to my Buffalo external HD and when I looked in the files, there are no backups at all since I bought this computer two years ago.

Any solutions? Or can anyone recommend another free backup programme I can use?

(MS Essentials has reported a Java/CVE-2009-3867.HD threat on two occasions while I was trying to backup-coincidence?)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sylviesinc View Post

Any solutions? Or can anyone recommend another free backup programme I can use?
    sylviesinc,
    Hello... I can recommend a free program ..."Macrium Reflect Free" http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp . It is a better choice over the Windows "flavor".If you have any questions on it's use, post back ...as there are many users of "Macrium". i use this along with Acronis 2010 v-7046 (not free). If Macrium will not do as you wish (and don't want to upgrade to the "pay for") ...Then i would find and purchase Acronis 2010 and update to 7046. Stay away from Acronis True image 2011 as it has many unhappy users. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-02-22 at 19:37.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Fred. How are tricks ?

>>>Stay away from Acronis True image 2011 as it has many unhappy users.

I have just used this 2011 twice in about 1 hour and all is well. What unhappiness is rampant in its use ? Surely not the clone app !

Be good. Jean.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post

>>>Stay away from Acronis True image 2011 as it has many unhappy users.
    Jean,
    Hello... All is well as an old "geekster" can be... If you want to take a "look see" at this and read for yourself about the complaints about 2011..Especially the "GUI" (user interface) http://forum.acronis.com/forums/acro...-true-image-ho For me v-11 worked OK but slow.... 2009 was a total "looser", 2010 v-7046 works for me...and with all the complaints i will not be upgrading to 2011 anytime soon Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred, I will give your suggestion a try and if I have any problems, I'll get back to you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure this is the same issue or not...

I never rec'd a reply to my June 16 post re configuring MS back up and restore http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...n-Win7-back-up

So I am now using Karenware's Replicator to do my back ups.

About 2 days ago I started getting "Error 5 Access is denied" on some files. I can see the file modification dates are different on the files in question. Some I know why the date is different, others I have no idea why they are different as I did not change them.

Rather than switch to another software, which I will do if I have to, I would rather resolve the issue as I understand from searchingaround that it is more a windows issue.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I still would appreciate an answer to my first question re Win 7 back up and restore

Thx

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrr View Post

I never rec'd a reply to my June 16 post re configuring MS back up and restore http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...n-Win7-back-up

Anyone have any thoughts?

I still would appreciate an answer to my first question re Win 7 back up and restore
    jrr,
    Hello...Sorry about you not getting a response to your question... Sometimes questions get "bumped" by others ...As i do not use "Windows Backup" ( have given it a fair try though) i would recommend Macrium Reflect Free Macrium When looking at the "Windows Backup " screen it shows that you can select where you want your backup to go...Is this what you meant? Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

jrr (2011-06-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    (Just plain) Fred

Thanks for the quick reply.

In terms of the "Error 5 Access is denied" issue is concerned, I just had someone show me how to change security settings on drives/folders and files. I set myself as having full control (I thought I alreadywas the adminstrator....)

Now the backups are working fine (or seem to be). So I will stick with REPLICATOR from Karenware for now.

In terms of changing the Win7 Back and restore "configuration" I have egg all over my face........

The light finally went off when I was looking at it again. CHANGE SETTINGS will do it ! (duh!!) (I will go add that to the other thread)

Thx again