Lounger
    Thanks

Deep Trouble, need to unistall Access? (A2K Pro)

This is a spinoff of the "Forms won't save correct subform" Thread.

I am still having great difficulty. First time Charlotte helped me figure out that either my data, my program application, or Access 2000 was corrupt.

So...I have redone my program by importing the forms and queries into a new program database and linking the original tables. It fixed the form/subform problem, but created a much bigger one. Now...my macros don't seem to be working.

Error reads "The expression ON LOAD you entered as the evernt property setting produced the following errors: User-defined type not defined." This happens on any event in the form, ON CLICK, ON EXIT. And..it did not happen at all on the form in the first application. I was not having trouble with this one.

I have tried several new databases, importing, linking, various forms, queries and tables. Importing definitions only, and not the data. Nothing worked.

The final straw...I have a "Multi-select list boxes example" from Helen Feddera of WOPR. It will work fine in its original form pulled up into A2k. But when I import the form and 3 tables into another brand new Database (not involved with my problem database) ...I get the same Error message as above.

Last night I uninstalled Office Pro 2000 and reinstalled it again. How can I make sure it completely uninstalled as it did not seem to help?

Is this error message something I can fix in my importing?

Could sure use some help on this one?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deep Trouble, need to unistall Access? (A2K Pro)

I found it!! It was a missing reference to the DAO 3.6 Object Library.

I have solved my current problems. I'm sure I'll be back.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, we talked about that in the other thread, remember? ADO is the default object model in Access 2000, so you *always* have to turn the DAO object model on if you want to use DAO. If you're only using DAO and don't want to go through your code and fully reference each DAO object as DAO.Recordset, etc., then turn off the ADO reference or you'll still have problems.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Boy, did I learn a lot this week. The hard way. But, my database was corrupt, so you helped me solve the first problem also and steered me right in the second.

I must have began the original database with the sample multilist example and DAO object turned on. I never originally turned the DAO object model on and obviously it didn't import across to my new DB.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you *convert* a database from an earlier version, Access will set the DAO reference for you because that was the reference in the earlier version. If you just import the objects, Access knows nothing about the references, so it uses the default. To save yourself some grief, remember to turn off Name Autocorrect as well in the Tools-->Options-->General dialog. Microsoft didn't quite get that one right, and it causes many more problems than it solves.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Convert VS Import. I FELT the difference and will now be aware.

Yes, I have the Name Autocorrect on. So, do you use an add-in to correct the changes, or do it manually.

Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Turn it OFF immediately. It causes all kinds of wierd behavior that have nothing to do with object names and it is a major cause of bloat in a database.

I use Speed Ferret when I really need to, although the latest version is extremely complex and not nearly as user-friendly as earlier versions, probably because it works on two versions of Access, VB 5 and 6 and SQL Server as well. There's also a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rickworld.com>Find & Replace</A> utility that a lot of people like, and which has been mentioned frequently in the Lounge.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Unbelievable...it was the AutoName that caused my initial problem with the "sourceobject" in the form!!!

I just went to my old database, unchecked the autuname, and the form would save correctly. My database may not have been corrupt.