5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - Should you install?

Interesting artilcle by How-To Geek......
    Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is Released: But Should You Install It?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes you should

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    From Hotifxes & Security update in SP-1 at SP-1 documentation:

"Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 includes all
    previously released updates for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Many of
    these updates are available to the public on the Microsoft Download Center
    and Windows Update, while others are only available to specific customers or
    partners. It is standard practice to
    include all of these updates in a Service Pack and as such they are included
    in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1.

This document contains a list of these updates with links to their
    descriptive webpage on http://support.microsoft.com. There are other updates in Windows 7 and
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 which have not been released as updates
    and therefore are not presented in this list."

I'd say you should install it. There is more there than what you may have installed via Windows Update.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Windows 7 service pack 1

Be careful! I installed (from UK, Wednesday 23/02/2011) and lost all logos on screen and the ability to open anything via the start button. It took 90 minutes to get it sorted by Microsoft, who eventually simply uninstalled it for me. The Microsoft tech told me that there's been loads of problems caused by it, some such as not being able to reboot their PC! He went on to say that I should consider myself lucky - at least I still had certain functionality!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Not here.

Not my case on three machines. Did you not have access to a Restore ? Any update first will create a Restore point. Have a peek.

Be good. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    For the first time in years, I have been unable to install a service Pack, no matter how I tried. Always ends up with a message stating that something is corrupt and sfc doesn't fix it.
    My system seemed to be quite messed up after the failed attempts. Was saved by the image made before starting the install atempt.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiffRaw View Post
    Be careful! I installed (from UK, Wednesday 23/02/2011) and lost all logos on screen and the ability to open anything via the start button. It took 90 minutes to get it sorted by Microsoft, who eventually simply uninstalled it for me. The Microsoft tech told me that there's been loads of problems caused by it, some such as not being able to reboot their PC! He went on to say that I should consider myself lucky - at least I still had certain functionality!
    I'm sorry you had problems with SP-1.

Was the PC up-to-date with patches before you tried SP-1?

Did you do a complete backup of the system before you started the install?

Did you disable your A/V before starting the install?

Did you terminate all programs prior to starting the install?

Did you use Windows Update or did you download the complete package?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Installed on my X64 based system just fine too. VERY slowly, but it went smoothly, have rebooted twice since, once at Windows request and once just to see if it would come back up on my request. No issues at all. At least not yet.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    I'm sorry you had problems with SP-1.

Was the PC up-to-date with patches before you tried SP-1?

Did you do a complete backup of the system before you started the install?

Did you disable your A/V before starting the install?

Did you terminate all programs prior to starting the install?

Did you use Windows Update or did you download the complete package?

Joe

Hi Joe, thanks . . .
    Yes to all except I didn't disable my A/V, but I've not done this in the past and never had problems before with other updates. I used the Windows update by the way which came through as usual. One other thing, the m/s tech also told me that this was a release candidate version, but there was no inference to this on the download.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I've always had better luck with service packs by downloading the complete package and not relying on Windows Update. See Windows 7 SP-1 downloads. Be sure to download the version that matches the "bitness" of your OS. Disabling your A/V before starting a major update like this is a good idea.

NOTE: The download is the official release of SP-1 not a release candidate. If there was not mention of what you installed being an RC version I doubt it was.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed it today, on Home Premium x64. My download was about the minimum size (89MB), since I already had all prior updates. It still took about 50 minutes to do the whole thing - mostly a slow D/L. No problems.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiffRaw View Post
    Hi Joe, thanks . . .
    Yes to all except I didn't disable my A/V, but I've not done this in the past and never had problems before with other updates. I used the Windows update by the way which came through as usual. One other thing, the m/s tech also told me that this was a release candidate version, but there was no inference to this on the download.
    I discovered after several hours of trying that turning off my Avast av and installing from the saved file allowed the installation to complete successfully.

Thanks
    Downloaded and installed Service Pack 1, 73 MB in total and went smoothly.
    Felt confident enough to deleted the leftovers the next day.

Thanks
    As with any major change, a large service pack would definitely be considered a major change, create an Image just prior to installing, then install away. It appears many of the problems being associated with the update are caused by other apps (mainly security) running in the background. Like Joe, I try to make it a habit of downloading the whole SP file from a reliable source instead of just the files MS thinks I need through Windows Update. I then disconnect from the internet and disable my AV/AM app (MSE in my case), shut down all apps I have the ability to do so (this is a suggestion you will see most times from MS and others) then install from the downloaded file. I followed this advice for my laptop, but used Windows Update for my wife's laptop (both 64 Bit). I did leave MSE running on her PC just to check this installation option. Both are working fine with no adverse affects. I did save the downloaded file on my D Drive in case I have to revert to the Image prior to the update for any reason, then reupdate.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-02-26 at 14:32.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Dumb move !

Ted, hello.

I like to give any runner a chance. I have all MS apps on my three machines, no Avast nor anything else. I left MSE running, after all if it can not handle its own, it would be a desparate situation.

All went smoothly, three times. Of course, I had clones made first, there was no need to use them. This on two 64-bit and one 32-bit machines.