New Lounger
    Thanks

Word not responding

For a while now I have been having a minor but irritating problem with WORD (Word 2007, part of Office 2007 Home and Student). every so often Word will become "Not Responding" and the computer seizes but after a short while, typically 10-15 seconds, things return to normal with no obvious after effects. However just recentlythe problem has become more serious, in that now sometimes when Word becomes "Not Responding" it does not return to normal and the computer becomes totally unresponsive (mouse not working, Keyboard not working)and I have to power down the computer and power up again.
    Any advice would be very welcome.
    Do I need to uninstall and reinstall WORD?
    Could this be an OS problem? My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    RavenSteve

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Is Windows 7 up-to-date with patches?

Is Office up-to-date with patches?

Have you checked the event logs?

Try having Task Manager running and see if there is an indication of what might be tying up the PC.

You could try a repair of your Office installation.

You might try the steps at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post167596.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

RavenSteve (2011-02-24)

Thanks
    If this is related to an "external" activity such as opening, saving, or closing a file, that might be useful to know.

If your security software includes an office add-in, you could try disabling it for a few days and see whether that makes any difference. Make sure you don't disable the general real-time protection that applies to all files saved to or opened from the hard drive, just the Word-specific add-on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jscher2000 For This Useful Post:

RavenSteve (2011-02-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe
    Yes Windows is up to date with patches and so is Office. Whilst I am quite familiar with using Office I am not very good with it's inner workings.
    How do I check the event logs? How do I run Task Manager? How do I repair Office?
    I have Looked at the thread you quote but am not confident undertaking some of the tasks mentioned there.
    jscher2000
    The problem does seem to be asociated with things like saving ,closing etc.
    RavenSteve

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    With Windows 7 to run the event viewew click on the Start orb. In the search box enter the word "event". Click on the Event Viewer entry.

To run Task Manager, right click on an empty area in the taskbar and click on "Start Task Manager". Once Task Manager loads click on the Processes tab and then click on the "Show Processes from all Users" button at the bottom.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

RavenSteve (2011-02-24)