Lounger
    Thanks

Ghost Drives ???

I'm using Win 7 Home Premium x64 on an HP m7680n machine with 6GB Memory, 2 HDD (C and D), DVD RW (E), DVD ROM (F), 4 Card Readers (G, H, I, J) and a Segate Go Removable HDD (K).

Don't know why but recently in Win Explorer and/or in My Computer there are two (2) additional drives listed. In Windows Explorer #1 is listed as CD Drive (L) and #2 is listed as Removable Disk (M). In My Computer both are listed as "Standard Disk Drives on USB Mass Storage Device" but, when I use the properties tab in Device Manager they are listed as Generic USB CF Reader USB Device.

I don't have any USB device connected except for the Segate Go HDD and the CF Card Readers (G through J) are hard wired into the system since day #1.

How can I get rid of these Ghost Drives ???? and what made them suddenly appear ??

Thanks
    John Chinook

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Have you installed or run any software that emulates a device?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a printer, camera, magic jack, etc.?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joeprez: Nope, haven't installed any new software in 6 months or so. As far as I know, nothing that I run on it would emulate a drive. All my software is pretty straight forward WordPerf Office, MS Office, Photoshop Elem, Norton Internet Security, PaintShop Video Studio, and PaintShop Photo are the biggies.

tfspry: Yes, there is an HP 65oo MFP attached. I do not hook up my camera to the computer choosing instead to just put the CF Card in the hardwired reader. The printer has been hooked up for almost a year without any problems and these Ghost Drives only appeared within the last 90 days.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chinook1544 View Post

tfspry: Yes, there is an HP 65oo MFP attached. .........
    Your printer has Media Reader Support.

On my WIN XP Pro SP3 I have an HP C6180. Windows Explorer shows the reader as the K drive, Device Manager shows in a couple of places, and it shows up in a couple of places in My Computer.

HTH

Lounger
    Thanks
    tfspry Thank you, thank you, thank you that's it. Don't know how much time I spent looking for that answer but I really feel like a dumb @## right now. All that time and it was right in front of me all along. Now all I have to do is figgure out how to disable those readers as I don't really use them and I'd rather keep the drive assignments clear for hooking up several portable drives.
    Again, Thanks very much

John Chinook