iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Windows 7 SP1 comes to Windows Update

PATCH WATCH

By Susan Bradley

Typically, the release of a first service pack marks an operating system's coming of age.

But Windows 7 has proven a mature product from its first release and doesn't absolutely need this not-so-major update.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/02/24/07 (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    I installed SP1 on 2 separate laptops so far, Win 7 HP and Win 7 Ultimate. No problems encountered so far. Very pleased. Win 7 has been very mature since it's original release and this update continues this nice tradition. I did however create n Up To Date Image just before and just after the installation. I am a firm believer that Up To Date Images are essential tools in our arsenals in keeping our PC's running.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed Susan's advice and downloaded and installed the latest Readiness Tool in MS Support article 947821. Checked the logs and my system is fine. Do I need to do anything further with it, like uninstall it??? Doesn't appear to be in "programs and features".
    Ed

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Y View Post
    I followed Susan's advice and downloaded and installed [FONT=Arial,Sans-serif][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]the latest Readiness Tool in MS Support article 947821. Checked the logs and my system is fine. Do I need to do anything further with it, like uninstall it??? Doesn't appear to be in "programs and features".
    No need to uninstall it.

Note: If you have further questions about SP-1 please post in the Windows 7 forum. More users frequent that forum and you are more likely to get an answer.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Windows 7 SP1 and Network Magic

HI
    I installed SP1 on the 22nd of February 2011, and immediately had problems...Long story short, I run a malware bytes scan and had a rogue anti-virus trohan thingy still on my computer even after several attempts to remove. I ended up getting the message of no bootmngr(not an exact quote) and decided to do a spring reinstall....I usually do a fresh Reinstall once a Yr and recommend doing so to my friends and famil(Maybe old school).Anyways, I had set up win 7 to backup on a regular basis, so I just reinstalled Windows 7, then installed sp1 w/the other usual updates. I have not had any problems w/sp1 since and all went well from my backup.
    Then, I attempted to install SP1 on 1 of my laptops last night(2/24/11)and SP1 downloaded and installed normally, until after the reboot, then it said a failure had occured and win 7 was reverting back to original configuration. I had just finished a clean install, had my anti-virus and firewall on before updates, and installed a program from cisco called Network Magic. after the computer reverted back, i started getting messages about files from my Network Magic 5.5 that were missing, so I uninstalled Network Magic, then reinstalled it. Everything worked fine, my network was good and internet speed was good, so I attempted to install SP1 again w/my otherupdates from microsoft, and exact same thing happened. The only conclusion I can come up with is Network Magic kept SP1 from installing and in that attempt, Netwok Magic lost files so that it wouldn't work, and a nag box stays up on screen until I unistall Network Magic. I am going to attempt to install all my updates, including sp1, before I install Network Magic this time and hopefully this will take care of the problem. I am wondering if anyone else has had this particular problem or any problems like this.
    Thank You
    okleadfoot
    okleadfoot

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dell Inspiron issues with Win 7 SP1

Quote Originally Posted by tbcapen View Post

PATCH WATCH

By Susan Bradley

Typically, the release of a first service pack marks an operating system's coming of age.

But Windows 7 has proven a mature product from its first release and doesn't absolutely need this not-so-major update.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/02/24/07 (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Tried 5 times to install Win 7 SP1 on 64-bit. Failed each time. Tried stopping antivirus program and also failed. Sorry I tried SP1 before receiving your Newsletter.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vcb1404 View Post
    Tried 5 times to install Win 7 SP1 on 64-bit. Failed each time. Tried stopping antivirus program and also failed. Sorry I tried SP1 before receiving your Newsletter.
    If you wish to pursue this please start a thread in the Windows 7 forum.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by okleadfoot View Post
    HI
    I installed SP1 on the 22nd of February 2011, and immediately had problems
    If you wish to pursue this please start a thread in the Windows 7 forum.

Joe

Thanks
    What about the other Kernel updates we were supposed to pass on earlier in the Month? And not quite sure if you're saying we should still pass on KB 2393802 until we know more.

I like that you're gathering this information for us but sometimes there is a disconnect with the previous columns and patches that come up that don't seem covered in your column.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to know whether to install the KB2479628 patch. It's one from 2/8 that Susan said she'd report on on 2/17, but I don't see anything about it in the column.

And I am also curious about KB2393802. I interpreted the comment in the column it was best to avoid this one. Am I right or wrong?

Thanks!

Thanks
    I have installed all patches, including SP1 with no problems at all on 2 64 Bit Win 7 laptops. On mine I used the downloaded file instead of Windows Update for SP1, then disconnected from the internet, shut down ALL running apps, including AV/AM and installed from the whole SP1 file. On my wife's I left Av/AM running, and chose the Windows Update install. Both methods worked as expected. I do have to say that both PC have minimal apps running in the background. We stop all the garbage from starting with Windows. They are not needed. I also made an Up To Date Image of both just prior to the installation in case of problems. It appears that most problems people are having with updates are interactions to already installed and running apps. Most updates will advise to shut down any running apps prior to installing any update, advice that few people follow.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy