New Lounger
    Thanks

ironing out problems

i'm running windows 7 home premium on a dell studio 1747 64 bit operating system. have not updated to sp1. well theres a few problems on my computer and i want to start fixing them. first off im trying to install microsoft visuall C++ 2008 redistributable package and i get the error code 0x80073712. i googled it and i ended up running a check for corrupted files somewhere and i do that couldnt be fixed. any help appreciated!
    Last edited by troni; 2011-02-23 at 18:28.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried the System Update readiness tool?

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

troni (2011-02-25)

Thanks
    I would first run chkdsk /r and after it finishes (and it could be quite a while) I would run sfc /scannow
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

troni (2011-02-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i have preformed all of these tasks and still cannot instal visual. after sfc/scannow it verifies 7% the i get " windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. details included in the cbs.log..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by troni View Post
    i have preformed all of these tasks and still cannot instal visual. after sfc/scannow it verifies 7% the i get " windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. details included in the cbs.log..."
    I would suggest a repair/reinstall. If you have the Dell Data Safe, you can do a restore that offers the option of saving your data and settings before the repair. It will put you back to day one though, I do believe. You might want to check with Dell Support on that one.

If you have (or can borrow) a Windows 7 Home Premium installation DVD, you can launch that from within Windows and perform an "Upgrade" that is actually a repair/reinstall. It will leave all your installed apps, data and settings in place and just repair Windows.

It would be best, though, to do a system image before you start, so that at least you can get back to where you are now if something were to go wrong.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It probably would not hurt to check the integrity of the hard disk itself just to be sure the file/folder corruption was not caused by hardware.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...loads/seatools

Running "Seatools for Windows" against the hard disk. It does not matter if the hard disk is not a Seagate it will still be able to run generic tests which should give you some answers and a degree of reassurance.