Thanks

Unhappy Device Manager Code 10

My Device Manager recognizes my new video card (HD 5670), but displays the following trouble code: This device cannot start (Code 10). On close examination of the System Properties General Tab, I find that the old MOBO and Video Card are still shown, while the new processor and RAM appear as they should.

I am unable to install the new Video Card with either the installation disk drivers, or latest downloaded drivers. I can only conclude that somewhere in the Registry the old, nonexistent components are still controlling the computer and causing my problems. The resolution is 1400x1050 at default refresh. My monitor is also an HDTV and operates at 1920x1080 in that mode. I am using an HDMi cable and am hoping to use that to transmit sound to the Monitors speakers when the Video Card finally works.

Can anyone provide the information that I need to solve this problem?

Thanks
    Enter this "Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" in an elevated command prompt and then
    go back to device manager and set it to show all hidden devices.

-Remember to keep the command prompt window open until after you are done in device manager.
    when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable

Start removing those devices that do not exist on your system now, including the GPU card.

Reboot.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-02-23 at 21:30.

Thanks

Question

I have removed the old GPU reference along with much of the components no longer on the machine. The General Tab still specifies the old Motherboard and Video Card. How can this be rectified?

Also, the problem with the new video card still exists.

Thanks
    You can try a potent registry cleaning tool like JV Power Tool, or aggressively search the registry and remove them manually.
    Either option comes with risk, so I would want a known good bootable image backup means at the ready.

Is my assumption correct in that you changed out your motherboard without doing a reformat and clean install? If so, this will
    be one of the consequences of such an action.

Thanks

Question

I followed Microsofts's KB article on installing a new MOBO. Apparently it did not take. Or, something in the OS failed to recognize the MOBO. The old video card was an Nvidia FX5500 AGP. The registry and Windows folder contain many entries from Nvidia. Do I need any of them, or can I delete all the references to Nvidia that I can find?

I use jv16 every day. I use TI 2011 for back-up exclusively. What registry entries specify the information found on the System Information General Tab? Possibly by manually editing these, I can fix the problem. Otherwise, I need more information on how to get XP Pro to recognize my new video card and motherboard.

I will be installing WIN7 HP in the near future as a dual-boot because I have some programs that will not work on WIN7, but I was hoping to straighten out all problems in transitioning to the new system first. If necessary, I will install WIN7 and hope I can install everything on it with no problems. If XP cannot be fixed, I will use it as is, but I would prefer to have it fixed.

Thanks
    I think a clean install with all of the appropriate drivers would be a good start.
    But if your XP CD is an OEM type, it would be specific to your previous hardware setup
    and you would likely end up where you are now.

Considering that you have an imaged backup at the ready, you could try combing throught the registry for any entries related to your previous hardware. You can afford to be carelessly experimental.
    But before going through the registry, go through all of your root system folders for any reference to the hardware in question. Look for the previous motherboards chipset drivers as well. Go back in device manager for a second look. Try the "update Driver" option if you havn't already.

If you have on board video you could try removing the card while you are undertaking the above.
    I would also have a look in the BIOS to see what exactly is showing up there. Maybe a BIOS upgrade would help eventually too.

Forcefully rooting out a bad hardware driver
    Remove Old Drivers After Upgrading to New Hardware
    Upgrading a Motherboard without Reinstalling

What type of an XP installation CD do you Have; OEM or genuine XP?
    If OEM, who is the manufacturer?
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-02-24 at 22:05.

Thanks
    I was forced to do a Repair Install when another program froze and the restart came up with a "corrupt hal.dll" problem. The Reinstall fixed my video problem, and now I have sound over HDMI--one less cable on the computer.

A clean install is a drastic, last resort type of fix. The Repair Install did the trick and should always be suggested before the Clean Install.