3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop.ini icons

Lately I've noticed two identical appearing icons on my desktop, entitled desktop.ini.

Do I need these. I'm trying to reduce the clutter.

One says last modified 8/8/10 and the other 6/26/10.

When I start to delete it, it says it is a system file.

Can I delete it?

Mel

Thanks
    I have on occaission had two, and I've always deleted the older one. I have noticed no ill effects. But then, I always leave the newer one in place.

Similarly, whenever I want to burn a file to a backup CD (using the Windows burner), there's always an ini file with it, and I always delete that file before burning; I see no need for it on the CD, and the backups work just as they should.

YMMV
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I agree with bbearren in deleting older ones and removing them from CD/DVD burn jobs, but ultimately you will always see them on your machine if you choose to view them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Whenever you customize a folder display in any way a desktop.ini file is created. That file contains the display customization. Your desktop is a blend of two different folders. So, you can have a desktop.ini for each folder. When you choose to display protected operating system files the desktop.ini files are displayed. You can delete the desktop.ini files but you will lose the display customization you have applied.

Joe