Thread: Sub-networking

New Lounger

Hi everyone,

My (australian) college runs a large network, which is wired throughout the residential block. What I would like to be able to do is have my desktop access the internet connection (including logon details through the web portal) and then re-share that connection through a wireless router. Thus people with the password for the wireless connection would no-longer need to logon through the university web-portal in order to access the internet, and IPs would be assigned on the 'sub-network' rather than the larger network (making setting up internal game servers and connecting consoles with no browser interface to the internet much easier). Is there a way to do this? How? I currently use Ubuntu on the desktop, though it is very little skin off my nose to use the Windows 7 license (Home Premium, I think) I have around. Thanks!

Manning, South Carolina
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 1,323 Posts
    G'Day HotChips,

Welcome to the lounge.

Yes, this is possible several different ways. The one I'm using right now is through a customized {software} router made by the JefaTech company. I'm currently in a motorhome running around the U.S. This Router/Repeater hooks up to the ISP or campground network then subnetworks the connection to allow both my wife & I to use our laptops wirelessly. In the last campground we were in for 3 months I used the router's software {via the browser} to attach to the network {they controlled access via the MAC address so it picked up the Router's outward facing MAC}. In our current campground you have to log in via a browser window with UID & Password. The 1st one of us to boot runs through this procedure then as long as one of us has our computer on the link is maintained but when we both shutdown we have to reinitialize it when we next boot.

You can also accomplish this via a 2nd NIC in your desktop which acts as a bridge and hooks to a regular wireless router.

I'm sure there are other solutions but know being there to see how your connection to the college's network functions I think I'll stop here.

Good Luck!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    You want to watch out the IT bods don't visit you for consuming too much bandwidth - you are not the first person to try this.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    I did this before but for isolation and security reasons.
    Add a network card to your PC, or add a USB network adapter. Your PC now has two network cards. Use the first network card for your normal web surfing use. Setup then 2nd card as gateway with internal IP address, different from your ISP DHCP IP address group. Also, set it up to connect to the 1st normal web surfing network card. Run a router software on the 2nd card, using this 2nd network card as router with DHCP. A wireless network card or wireless USB adapter would be perfect. For hard wire Ethernet, this limits you to one external PC (to the 2nd network card). You'll need a hub or router to expand to more than more than 1 hard wired PC.

Now, the 'router' will DHCP with its own assignable IP addresses. And it acts as gateway to connect to the first web surfing network card. Effectively, your PC is a router, hiding the other connected PCs from the first network card. Put simply, the normal web surfing 1st network card is the WAN, and the 2nd card is the local LAN, of the software router.

If you have T-Mobil service (or others), and have a router-function feature smart phone, it is even simpler. Log on to 3G/4G so to access Internet yourself. Other PCs, smart phones, can then get DHCP addresses from your smart phone. Now they can access Internet via your smart phone.