New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Win 7 Service Pack 1 install failure

On my laptop (32 bit), I tried to install the service pack via update, but got "Error not Found 0x80070490". Subsequently I ran sfc /scannow which reported unrecoverable errors. I then took out my Windows 7 repair disk only to find it was only designed to help boot problems.

Next I downloaded the disk image of SP1, created a DVD of the service pack, and tried to install that way, but to now avail.

My laptop boots fine, and seems to run normally with the following anomalies: 1)won't install SP1 2) won't install ITunes any longer 3) won't install the IE9!

After running the scan (sfc /scannow), I checked the cbs.log, but it's hard to interpret. I run Microsoft Security Essentials whcih can find to problems with the laptop, and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware which also has scanned the laptop without finding problems. These two programs were not running when the installs failed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    If you have a Windows 7 installation disk you can try an inplace upgrade (formerly known as a repair install).

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

bancroft1 (2011-02-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I to had a problem installing sp1 32 bit. I got error 0x800f0900. I installed system readiness tool and it found no errors. When I checked the log it listed KB979916 as a possible problem which is net frame sp2. It is not listed in the uninstall but it is installed. I cannot find how to uninstall it. I disabled antivirus and firewall and tried several times still same error. Jeff

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barje View Post
    I to had a problem installing sp1 32 bit. I got error 0x800f0900. I installed system readiness tool and it found no errors. When I checked the log it listed KB979916 as a possible problem which is net frame sp2. It is not listed in the uninstall but it is installed. I cannot find how to uninstall it. I disabled antivirus and firewall and tried several times still same error. Jeff
    I got the same error several times, but after turning off my Avast av the install completed successfully.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barje View Post
    Please do not hijack this thread. It is very easy for the responses to become confusing and useless. I moved your original post to its own thread where it may get better attention.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe: I finally gave up, and used the install disk to reinstall WIn 7. That took forever as the laptop is slow! Then I used the SP1 disk I dl'd from MS to upgrade to SP1. I was then able to install IE9 successfully and ITunes. Unfortunately ITunes loads, then stops running?!? Oh well, think I'll leave that one for another day. Thanks for the suggestion of using the install disk. I had forgotten I could reload Win 7 w/o destroying my working files. All the best__Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad you got it mostly worked out. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

Thanks
    Sometimes something is seriously wrong with the original OS to a point where updates fail. Or perhaps an infection is blocking things. Unfortunately there are times where complete reinstalls are the fastest way to solve problems. Please read the various posts in Security and Backups forums concerning Images. You might find this is a much faster way to recover from disaster after you have solved this problem.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-02-25 at 06:28.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy