Lounger
    Thanks

Question MSE - is it anti-virus or not?

I installed Win7 on an HP workstation. For this setup, I chose to use MSE and Windows Firewall.

On Win7, the HP Support Assistant reports that an anti-virus program is not detected when MSE is installed and operational. On the web, there is some lively discussion about the value of the HP Support Assistant because HP apparently indicates that one should install a "real"¯ anti-virus program.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Ken/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

HPSecurityCenter.jpg

However, the Win7 Security Center also reports that an anti-virus program is not installed, despite MSE being fully operational.

MissingAntivirusProgram.jpg

Thus, MSE is not indicating to Win7 that it is an operational anti-virus program, or perhaps it is not an anti-virus program.

I did configure the Security Center to not monitor for an anti-virus program and the feedback from both is still the same.

Has anybody else run into this issue?

Is MSE a fully functional anti-virus program? If so, why does it not report its status correctly to the Security Center?

Thanks
    Yes, MSE is a fully functional anti-virus program and anti-malware program. HP's detection algorithms, however, may not be (fully functional, that is).
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 MSE - is it anti-virus or not?

You may be correct about the HP program with regard to its inspection. Several web posts indicated the same feedback. However, since the Windows 7 Security Center also indicates no anti-virus program active, that tells me that MSE is not registering itself as an anti-virus program with the Security Center, and thus, it indicates that the Security Center is doing no better than the HP advisor program. In essence, I think the question is why doesn't MSE register itself with the Security Center as an anti-virus program?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    MSE does register with the Security Center. There is no telling what HP has done with their Support Assisitant.

Joe

Thanks
    You might try using Revo Uninstaller to uninstall MSE, then reinstall it.

Speaking of which, did you install it online from Microsoft, or download it and install from the hard drive?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would uninstall the HP Support Assistant. I have not found it to be of any value. Perhaps it is interfering in the antivirus detection.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    You might try using Revo Uninstaller to uninstall MSE, then reinstall it.

Speaking of which, did you install it online from Microsoft, or download it and install from the hard drive?
    I would expect that uninstall and re-install won't make a difference. When the install is done, I believe the full install file is downloaded in either situation whether you say Run or Save (& double-click to run later). When you select Run, the downloaded file is deleted when the install is complete.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidPierson View Post
    I would uninstall the HP Support Assistant. I have not found it to be of any value. Perhaps it is interfering in the antivirus detection.
    If you view the 2nd jpg provided with the initial post, that shows the Microsoft Security Center feedback indication that MSE did not register as an anti-virus program. However, I will uninstall the HP Support Assistant and run through this again.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I uninstalled the HP Support Assistan (HP Advisor), went into the Security Center and turned on monitoring once again for anti-virus software, and the problem is resolved. It seems that the HP code interferred with this function and removing it is the correct thing to do.

Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kashken View Post
    I believe the full install file is downloaded in either situation whether you say Run or Save (& double-click to run later). When you select Run, the downloaded file is deleted when the install is complete.
    For any MS software other than routine Windows Updates, I always download the file and install from the hard drive. If I need a do-over later on, I already have the file handy.

For a way-out-there example, I still use Office 2000. Some of the updates are no longer available from MS. When I installed O2K on my new PC, I had all the update files already. Once I installed the file converters for Office 2007, I started getting security updates for Office through Windows Update again. Think of how much $$$ I've saved over the years by staying out of the Office upgrade merry-go-round.

If you'll look through the threads on this and other support sites, there are numerous instances of problems with installing from online that were resolved by downloading the file in question and installing from the hard drive.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2011-02-24 at 18:44. Reason: clarity

Unleash Windows

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

djh22 (2011-03-03)

Thanks
    I do not think HP is the only manufacturer that installs there own branded apps that do little to help productivity. In fact generally these "specialized" apps do just the opposite. They slow things down. Sony has similar things on their system. When I upgraded to Win 7 (when it was first released) I just installed the Win 7 stuff not the Sony branded stuff. Have never looked back. Most of us could easily live without all the manufacturer branded apps or trial ware, etc, the manufacturers think we "need".
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kashken View Post
    Thank you for your assistance.
    You are most welcome - delighted to hear that it solved the problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    I do not think HP is the only manufacturer that installs there own branded apps ...
    Quite so. A couple of years ago I installed two new desktop PCs for a locally based charity. One was a Dell, the other a "bare-bones" system from Novatech. It took me longer to remove the Dell rubbish and get the PC working properly than it did to install the separately supplied DVD drive and then install and configure Windows XP and MS Office on the bare-bones PC. Absurd.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Good reason for looking at Microsoft Store Online Store - Computers. The "Microsoft Signature" PCs are the same as the ones you can get from the big OEMs or retail stores. The big exception is that none of the junkware is loaded. See Microsoft Signature for details.

As a result of this process users are able to get PCs from big OEMs which are not pre-loaded with a bunch of junk.

Joe