New Lounger
    Thanks

Boot XP After Installing Win7

Before installing Win7 Home Premium over the existing XP Pro on the first partition (C:/) of the first of two hard drives, I made an image of C:/ using BootItNG, which I've used for many years. After successfully installing Win7, I restored the image of XP Pro to the H:/ partition on the second hard drive on my desktop.

I used the boot edit feature of BootITNG to boot XP from the H:/ partition. I think I am close to getting it to boot, but something hangs up. I suspect it may have to do with the original boot.ini on the image of the C:/ drive. The boot.ini indicates that the the OS is on the first partition of the first disk, when it actually is on the last partition of the second disk.

I tried editing the boot.ini file, but I may not be getting all the parameters right for specifying where to boot from.

I regret installing Win7 over the existing XP now. On another computer, I installed Win7 on a different (new) partition, and the Win7 boot manager allows me to boot either Win7 or the older Vista that the computer came with.

Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Backup what you need from Windows 7. Restore the XP backup to the primary partition. Install Windows 7 in another partition.

Joe

Thanks
    If y0u check the Win 7 disk Manager does it show both partitions. If so perhaps the MBR needs to be repaired. Check out EasyBCD to correct the Boot Manager
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    If y0u check the Win 7 disk Manager does it show both partitions. If so perhaps the MBR needs to be repaired. Check out EasyBCD to correct the Boot Manager
    If XP was installed first and then installed Win7 next, would EasyBCD be run from XP or Win7???

Thanks
    It's been a while since I did this, but I believe it should be run from Win 7. When Win 7 is installed second, it replaces the XP MBR (I think) so you would have to repair from within Win 7. I could be wrong. Perhaps someone else could chime in here and let us both know positively.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted, you are correct. Win 7 (and Vista) replaces the XP boot.ini file with bootmgr.dll which can be edited with EasyBCD as metioned above. EasyBCD should be run in Win 7.

Jerry

Thanks
    From my own bad experiences with dual booting using some sort of Boot Manager, I gave that idea up as BAD, years ago.
    There are just too many problems that can crop up having two OS's on the same HD.

My own solution was (IS) to put each OS on its own hard drive. When installing any new OS, I always make sure that HD is the only one connected to the motherboard at that time.
    (that can avoid a lot of costly mistakes)
    Then I plug the HD's into the motherboard in the order that I want them to boot up, so my default OS always boots first. On my own computer, with an MSI mobo, if I press the F11 key at boot, I get a nice boot menu, listing all the bootable drives in my system and from that menu I can pick the drive to boot from. One OS will never interfere with any other OS and I can remove one drive or reformat it and install another OS, without ever effecting any other drive or OS. HD's are just too inexpensive today, to try to cram two OS's on the same drive.
    Cheers Mates!
    the Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!