Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 \ 64 SP-1 Experience

Hello all,
    Just wanted to report on my Hp Pavilion Desktop's "7" SP-1 installation. Keep in mind that i am only reporting what has happened to me, and I'm only the messenger. I downloaded the service pack when offered from windows update. I have two Windows 7 \ 64 OS's (same hardware and programs) One with all patches and updates and the other ....with none...."Zippo". I let Windows install the update along with two others (on the patched OS) and was installed "successfully" (Yea !) Within a few minutes after the new install, the PC shut down and attempted to re-boot herself .Only to be stuck in the "BIOS" screen. At that point i tried to switch off using the tower .... no go, had to "pull the plug" This followed for three more times ....(no blue screen log) didn't have enough time to investigate anything else between shutdowns. Previously i made a "Macrium Reflect" backup and recovered to before the SP-1 install . All is well again except for the usual "buggyness" of the completely patched system. Here are a few observations

1. After installation "SP-1" decreased my HD by 2GB ( didn't have enough time to remove the "backup")

2. The two "7" OS's have diverged one from another a total of 6 GB (patched vs no patches)

3. The OS with no patches exhibits none of the "quirkyness" that the fully patched OS has.
    I will try this experiment again in a few weeks in case there is some problem with the "service pack" and report back as to the results....Conclusion... "If it ain't broke, blah blah, blah. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Brian-Martin (2011-03-10),pikeman (2011-02-26)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info Fred, I am running the same Win 7, 64 Bit fully patched system, so now I definately will wait on this update.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    I am running the same Win 7, 64 Bit fully patched system, so now I definitely will wait on this update.
    James S,
    Hello... The bottom line with any of these "updates\ patches \ service packs", Is...Take an Image, and store it to another hard drive external or internal if possible. If you don't have a "Imaging" program ( other than the MS flavor)you can get a good one for free from "Macrium Reflect" that is much better than the "MS" offering. http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp If you need more "info" post back. Regards Fred
    PS: the problem that i have experienced is probably because of my "unusual" PC...but thought that i would pass along and warn others about a possible problem with SP-1.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Different results.

Hello Fred.

I have done three machines here to SP-1 and no ill effect.

Except, there is always somehting ! All my passwords and users' names were deleted but kept again after the retyping of them.

Also, the "Default Programmes" were all reset to the MS default, I first noticed this when looking at some .jpg. I normally use Paintshop v.6, it had defaulted to PhotoViewer. I am on lookout for others.

Aside from this, SP-1 has been a joyful install. ( so far ! ) Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    Thanks for the info Fred, I am running the same Win 7, 64 Bit fully patched system, so now I definately will wait on this update.
    There are a couple of things to remember about install any service pack:

1.) Make a complete backup of your system.
    2.) Make sure that you have the most current BIOS for your system.
    3.) Make sure your device drivers are current.
    4.) Make sure any prerequisite patches are applied. See the service pack documentation.
    5.) Double check that you have made a complete backup of your system before starting the service pack installation.

Even though I keep my systems fully patched I download the complete setup package for the service pack and use it instead of Windows Update. Even though the Windows Update method works for most people, I've had better luck through a number of Windows releases using full service pack downloads. Also, once you download the full service pack burn it to a DVD then it will be available if you ever need to rebuild your system from scratch or if you need to apply it multiple systems.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Brian-Martin (2011-03-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i installed it and what a mess, half my games wouldnt work lock up plus slowed my comp. down
    glad i had a backup
    i wont install sr1 ever
    ruger22/45™ Mark III rugersr9 glock 19 od
    http://www.georgiacarry.org/
    NAM VET

Thanks
    Works great on 2 systems, both 64 Bit. I suspect many of the aforementioned problems have more to do with the installed apps than with Win 7. I would hazard a guess that many problems with slow down are because there are so many apps starting with Windows. Most installed apps think they have to start at Windows start up which is just not so. Simply shutting down some of these apps might be all that is needed. Using an app such as What's In Startup, check how many items are starting with Windows and stop most of them.

WhatsInStartup.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5019 View Post
    i installed it and what a mess, half my games wouldnt work lock up plus slowed my comp. down
    glad i had a backup
    i wont install sr1 ever
    Mark,
    Hello.... Just an update....I downloaded the SP-1 from Windows Updates again, and "let-er-rip". This time one update failed (KB2387530) , but the "service pack" was successful. So far after a few hours of running all seems well . Don't have any idea why the first go-around went badly. Maybe the download was somehow corrupted.I then removed the backup (SP-1), and all seems OK for now. I didn't use "Joe's" method as the "stand alone" download was around 1.9GB... Would have taken me hours....Bottom line.... If you try it, just have a backup handy ( full Image) just in case. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    I have to agree with Fred here. Not only do I make new Up To Date Images whenever I make major changes to my PC (adding apps, SP1, etc) I make a new Image before and after. It's easy to delete the Image you do not need when things work well, but if things don't work so well, you will be cursing yourself for not having the new Image.

Our 2 laptops (64 Bit) are working well as of now.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not made a practice of creating an image file; I back up everything automatically but from what I understand, an image file would certainly be way easier for a restore. A few minutes' rather than a few days' worth of work. The Macrium software you reference looks good, and I believe you that it's a reliable alternative. My question is whether the image backup in Norton Security Suite (provided by my ISP, Comcast) is also reliable. Presumably it is, but it's better not to rely on "presumably" in case others here have had experience with it. Any comments?

Thanks
    The 2 Imaging apps discussed the most (in the Security and Backups forum) are Macrium Reflect (free) and Acronis True Image (not free - I use both 2010 and 2011 editions). I have not used the Macrium Reflect (tutorial) so can not comment on it, but I have used Acronis True Image, and wrote a short tutorial in these forums, on it. Check out both.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik47 View Post
    I have not made a practice of creating an image file; I back up everything automatically but from what I understand, an image file would certainly be way easier for a restore.
    Erik,
    Hello...An "image " is an exact copy of your whole "OS"...everything! With Macrium free you can Image and recover, and verify in a matter of minutes for each operation. (depends on the size of OS) Acronis 2010 can "image and "verify" my OS (about 20GB) in less than 7 minutes. As Ted has stated check out the links or post a question in the "Security & Backups " forum Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded and installed SP1 a few days ago on my desktop (W7 Ultimate 64-bit system). So far the only issue was that it completely messed up my Gadgets. This was resolved by disabling the gadgets (Control Panel|Programs & Features|Turn Windows Features on or off|Windows Gadget Platform) then rebooting, re-enabling and reinstalling the gadgets.

I've just installed it on my laptop (W7 Ultimate 32-bit) and no isues whatsoever.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use TeraByte Unlimited Image for Windows and the accomanying Image for DOS. The former will back up any partition, including my Win 7/Apps, from within Win7, while allowing me to continue to work (it automatically runs PhylLock in order to do this). The latter runs at boot time, allowing restoration of an non-bootable partition. It is not very expensive, and will also run under Linux.

As a second means of protecting data, I use Super Flexible File Synchronizer on my non-OS partitions. It keeps external and internal HD copies of my data in sync, capturing incremental changes. It too runs within Win 7, running 8 hard drive partition syncs simultaneously to two separate external HD's. It will not sync any open data files, but takes little time so I do not have to wait very long to get back to my work.

This combination is much faster and more thorough than many "backup" programs.
    Win 10 Pro 64bit on Dell XPS12 w/ Intel Core I5, 256gb mSATA, 4gb RAM. Also self-built Asus Z97 Desktop PC, Core I3, Kingston 96gb SSD, Toshiba 128 SSD, 8gb Corsair DDR4 1600, CM 692II Case, Radeon R7 250X, Samsung 23" Mon w/HDTV tuner.

New Lounger
    Thanks

W7 SP1 Issues

The installation went well (W7x32), but hibernate no longer worked: BSOD: Stop 0x000000A0 Internal_Power_Error.
    I have tried: run > powercfg /hibernate /size 100
    and run > powercfg /hibernate /size 150...
    Neither fixed the issue.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast