Lounger
    Thanks

Win Update: Copy Temp Files for Fresh Install?

Dial-up Connection to Internet (no access to high speed)
    Windows 7 64-Bit

Hi:

It's taken many incremental hours to keep Windows 7 64-bit updated through Microsoft Windows Update using a dial-up connection to internet. All updates are current and kept current with the dial-up connection.

Eventually, I will fresh install Windows 7 64-bit on the same computer, with same configuration.

Problem: Using Microsoft Windows Update to install security and bug fixes following a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit, using a dial-up connection, will take days.

Possible Solution: Copy all files from the folder: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download to another hard drive, then copy back to same location after a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit.

Then, run Windows Update, it will find those files and reinstall will take minutes, instead of hours/days.

Question:
    1) Will this work?
    2) Are there other directories on the computer that need to be copied to another hard drive and then back to a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You best bet is to download the full SP-1 package for X64 from Windows 7 SP-1 download page. It is a very large download but has all the fixes. You won't have to worry about whether or not you've missed something up to its release. If you don't want to spend the time perhaps you have a friend or relative that has a high speed connection that can download it for you and burn it to a DVD.

Once you install Windows 7 then install SP-1 immediately. After the SP-1 installation is complete run Windows Update repeadtedly until no more updates are offered.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

ip45ywre (2011-02-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I just ordered SP1 on DVD from Microsoft, DVD cost $0 + $5.99 shipping

I've read installing SP1 from the standalone DVD will add several GB to windows, as compared to the roughly 350mb were added through windows update.

thanks for your suggestion.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See my post at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post791058 for SP-1 cleanup information.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

ip45ywre (2011-02-25)

Thanks
    See my post at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post791058 for SP-1 cleanup information.
    Joe
    I like this method in particular...
    <B>2. In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below and press enter. (see screenshot below)
    dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded /hidesp
    Windows Sevenforums
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-02-25 at 11:56.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I was thinking of SP1 standalone installing MORE files than are necessary for the specific computer - and that is why the increase of several GB comes in.

Thanks for info on removing backup files, that will certainly help decrease the overall size of windows after install of SP1